10: INTO YOUR ARMS

10: INTO YOUR ARMSBradley

10: INTO YOUR ARMS
Bradley

“You didn’t have to do that.”

“Yes, I did.”

“You got reprimanded and written up. What were you thinking?” Everyone could hear Cyclone ripping her apart in his office, all while Hangman just got a slap on the wrists.

“I wasn’t,” She retorted.

“Yeah, clearly-”

“Don’t lecture me, okay? You’re not my dad, last I checked,” She rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, but you sure act like him,” I wished I could take those words back. It registered to me that I was talking about Maverick, but to her it was Iceman.

And it needs to stay that way.

“And I’m damn sure he would have done the same thing when he was my age,” She hopped off of her top bunk, “because no matter what, he wouldn’t stand by and watch an amazing comrade be disrespected like that.”

“That’s one of the many reasons why I respect Iceman, and because he raised a pretty badass daughter. Why did you hide such an honor?” She sighed, leaning against the wall with her arms crossed. Since we got here, she seemed so guarded. But who can blame her? She lost her husband only a month after being married, and having to watch as they die. . .I don’t think I could ever come back from something like that.

“That's all they would talk about. We know the military, it would be the constant topic of conversation in any room I walk in or any dinner party. I fight for this country with everything I have, yes, but does that mean I need to relive it? No.”

“Fair point,” A silence fell on us, and she was looking off to the side and out her window. The sunset hit her face perfectly, highlighting her green eyes and setting them ablaze. Even though she wasn’t looking at me, just the thought of her looking at me with those eyes right now made me nervous.

God, she’s fucking beautiful.

“Phoenix thinks I still have a crush on you,” The way her eyes went into a panic after that made me smirk. She immediately tried to wave it off, “sorry, I just think it’s stupid. I haven’t seen you in years, so it doesn’t make sense.”

“I don’t know. A bar owner I know would say differently,” I replied.

“Penny has wanted me to become Leah Bradshaw since we were kids. That doesn’t count,” The way she said Leah Bradshaw made it sound so right, like my last name was made to be hers.

"Would be great for military benefits," I shrugged and she chuckled.

"Speaking of, my commander has been on my ass about taking time off."

I lifted my brow, "How come?"

Are you taking care of yourself?

Is it the nightmares?

"I have three months of vacation I gotta take."

Oh.

"You deserve it."

She shook her head, "I can't leave my guys like that - especially for three months. Plus what would I do?"

I pushed myself off of the wall, "Once this mission is over, I'm taking my vacation and driving us anywhere you want."

Her eyes softened, "Bradley, I can't ask you-"

"That's why I'm not asking," I smirked and seeing the way her eyes widened ever so slightly made me just want to grab her and kiss her.

Wait, do I want to kiss her?

"Where would we even go?" My eyes weren't even on hers and it was rude, but it was so hard not too.

"Anywhere you want, or I can surprise you," The way her lips moved, perfectly plump and kissable - driving me insane. She bit her lip in concentration, trying to figure out what to say, but little did she know it was making me question if my childhood crush was just a crush.

If it was always something more.

And if it ever went away.

"I'll just give it to someone else. They need it more than me anyway," She insisted, and seeing as I was ready to challenge that, she made her way to the door.

"I'm gonna go train with the F-18s more if you-"

"Why are you pushing me away?" My question stopped her in her tracks, and despite all of my years of training, I still couldn't tell what she was thinking. Her hand curled around the doorknob, not wanting to look at me or else I might know why.

"Bradshaw-"

"There! There it is! You go from first name basis to acting like I'm a Cadet," I walked up behind her, "I don't understand, Leah. You wanted to be friends again."

"I-I know that, but. . ." She didn't want to answer me.

She was afraid too.

"I was more vulnerable with you a few days ago than I've been with someone in a long time. That can't happen again," She replied, still unmoving.

"But why?" I moved in front of her, and she stepped back and her hand at her side. 

I want Leah Kazansky back.

I don't want Rampage.

"Don't do this to us-"

"I can't lose anymore people. I lost him, my dad's cancer is back, and now this mission. . .There's no guarantee any of us will and getting closer to everyone makes me care. I love every one of you and it makes me sick to think that I'll have another funeral to attend," She expressed, finally looking up at me and I saw it. I knew she was in pain but the raw emotion in her eyes was clear.

She was tired.

She just wanted to stop.

So I grabbed her face, her cheeks squishing in my hands, and kissed her forehead. As much as I wanted it to be her lips, I wasn't going to take advantage of a broken woman.

"The first place we'll go is Greece. We'll take one of those cheesy tours in a boat, and I'll take you to dinner. Okay?" Our foreheads were close but not touching, and even though my gaze was intense and staring right into her eyes, she remained staring at the floor as the sun exposed her reddened cheeks.

"Okay."

///
Wanted to get something out for you guys and then the next chapter is the beach! Also would you guys want a Jake Seresin fanfic??