CHAPTER 2

Naya
Saturday, September 20

Ten minutes into the party I realized my mistake. I had followed my friends here because I wanted to prove I wasn't the boring beauty queen everyone thought I was only to immediately realize that parties weren't exactly my scene. It might have been better if I had stuck with my friends, but they were out doing shots with the cheerleaders and I wasn't really in the mood to deal with them.

Maybe, I thought, if I left now, they wouldn't notice.

They'd all carpooled with me though. How would they get back?

"Hey," a familiar voice rang out, and I looked up only to regret my decision of coming here even more.

"Hey, Cisco," I grinned politely, watching as he took a seat next to me, half-empty beer bottle in hand.

"You okay?"

"Just fine. You?"

He shot me a knowing look, looking back out into the dancing bodies a few yards away from us in the main entrance. "Great." After a small silence, he suddenly said, "Sometimes I just want to disappear."

"It's easy to do that here." When he gave me a confused look, I cleared up my statement. "I lost my friends as soon as we stepped in, it's like a jungle out here or something."

"Except you, my dear Naya, would never get lost. You don't blend in, you glow."

Which is why I hated going to parties in the first place. It seemed like no matter where I went, people never got over how amazing my hair looked, or the way my eyes shone in the sun, or how well put-together and chic my outfit for the day was.

It wasn't like I didn't care about their compliments, because I did. I always put a lot of effort into my looks, even though now it was more out of routine than actual desire. But there wasn't a moment in my life that I could think of where someone had complimented anything other than my looks.

"Sometimes, I wish I didn't glow."

The words escaped my mouth before I could stop them, which made me mentally slap myself for saying them in the first place. It was bad enough that I'd even let my thoughts escape my mind, but to have said them in front of Francisco Salazar was social suicide.

He chuckled though, tipping his beer towards me slightly before saying, "Here's to getting lost."

Francisco had always been very good with his words. Extremely persuading, much to everyone's dismay. When we were in middle school he won the Speech and Debate competition, making him the best in the entire county that year, and the year after that. So it really wasn't surprising when eventually, he managed to get uptight Bailey Phillips and the drug-dealer of Roosevelt High to join our pity group. My cup still had the same amount of liquor it did when I first got it, but Cisco had already downed like five beers and a couple shots, making him as fun as he was dangerous in this drunk state.

"So, Vik," Cisco started out, crossing one leg over another as his eyes hooded slightly. "What secrets have you got for us tonight?"

Bailey's eyes damn near popped out of her head, her expression showing uneasiness, and it was obvious this was a talk she didn't want to have. And to be honest, I agreed with her.

"What?" Vik said more than asked, with an exasperated look on his face.

"He's clearly drunk and saying stupid things by now," Ellis chimed in, dragging a chair to us and turning it backwards, sitting down on it as his forearms rested on the top, joining our group without an invitation. His eyes flickered over to mine before a smile spread slightly across his lips. "Hey, Naya."

Odd One OutOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara