CHAPTER 27

Bailey
Sunday, November 9

"How are none of you scared right now?"

"Jake," Ellis started, "...it's just the woods. Relax."

"Yeah, the woods Francisco probably died in."

Naya gasped, slightly hitting his arm as a couple leaves crunched under her step. "Jake! Don't say that!"

"It's true!" he protested, reluctantly walking ahead of her.

It was true; the text message we all got was eerie enough as it was, but knowing these were the same woods Francisco disappeared and was probably murdered in was not really making it any better.

Whoever had texted me all those nights ago had suddenly decided it was time to include the other four, and our carefree moment in Naya's clearing was interrupted as we all piled back into her car and solemnly drove to the woods, just as the message had told us to.

I refrained from telling them about the follow-up message I had received once we started walking around. They had gotten so upset the first time I had refrained from telling them about a message, but this time was different. It was too specific, and I had a feeling it was sent exclusively to me for a reason.

"What exactly are we even looking for?" Jake complained, slapping away a branch that was in his way.

"We're supposed to find the place we were in that night," Ellis answered. "Just like the message told us to. Maybe there will be a clue, or something?"

"The message said to go to the clearing...does that mean we were all in this clearing with Francisco?"

"Honestly," Ellis responded to Naya, "I can't even remember."

"This feels like a trap," Viktor stated, causing Jake to go on a ramble about how we were probably walking straight into a trap set by Summers, followed by Naya arguing that no matter what it was, she was glad she was doing it with all of us and not alone. That was the last thing I heard from them before stepping away, allowing myself to be swallowed by the darkness of the woods as I let them walk ahead of me. Once I realized they hadn't noticed me stay behind, I began to walk away in search of the lake.

Unknown number: Little Girl Blue come find a way,
to get yourself out of dismay
but where's this clue you wish to see?
out by the lake, I guarantee!

As I stepped through the dead leaves, phone flashlight guiding me, I began to think through the messages and the meaning they contained, knowing it was all for a reason but unable to find what the reason was.

Is this person out to get me? Could they be...on my side?

It was a possibility. Maybe not entirely on my side, but why else would they send me the warning message, about running out of time? Or the one just now, about finding a clue to help get me out of this mess?

Although, Viktor's theory seemed more accurate — this was all probably just a trap. From who though?

Francisco? His murderer? Summers?

Finally reaching the lake after minutes of endless branches and trees, I began to look around for a clue...any clue. Any sign, anything out of the ordinary. Maybe there would be some information on where Francisco was hiding, if he was alive. Maybe I'd finally come face-to-face with his killer, and know who it was.

At least the lake looks beautiful.

It was...serene.

The moon was shining a strip of white onto it that moved ever so slightly with the light breeze of the night. Perhaps if we weren't under the circumstances we were in, it might have even felt relaxing to be here.