CHAPTER 19

Bailey
Wednesday, October 29

"Bailey, can you come down here for a second?"

Ten minutes. I had been up in my room reading for only ten minutes, but even that would not save me from the legal jargon lessons I'd have with her. She had been asking me why I was so distant, and I told her because of the case which was not technically incorrect.

I did not want to talk more about legal things when this case was already taking place — it was enough stress, I didn't need anything else to pressure me. But if there was anything I had learned from this experience, it was that I could not hold a group together to save my life.

The five of us had pretty much gone back to ignoring each other. Or at least, they'd gone back to ignoring me. Jake and Ellis were missing school because of their injuries, Naya went MIA after that stupid account revealed her secret, and I didn't even want to talk about Viktor.

And I tried so hard to solve this case, with their help, but clearly I was mistaken — I was not able to bring us all together. And I definitely was not able to stay patient with Viktor, so I knew I would lose my temper in a real case. Not that this wasn't a real case, but it wasn't my case...I was starting to realize that this might not be what I wanted after all, but having to admit that out loud to my mom was terrifying beyond belief.

"Bailey!"

"I'm going!" I dragged out, sliding into my flip-flops and tying my hair into a ponytail as I made my way downstairs, knowing it would help keep it out of the way when she made me read whatever paperwork she wanted me to learn about tonight.

When I finally reached the bottom of the stairs though, I saw that she was standing by the door and not in the living room, where she'd usually be. She had her arms crossed, giving me a questioning look as I walked closer to her.

"There is a boy looking for you."

"Huh?"

The question slipped my lips before I could even process it. She gave me another look that seemed to say "Don't play me", but it was clear that we were both equally confused.

"He...is pretty tall, and has dark hair...ring any bells?"

There was only three people I could think of right off the top of my head: one of them I wasn't speaking to, and the other two had either a concussion or near-broken ribs and were both resting at home. So, back to square one.

Growing rapidly impatient with the guessing game we were poking at, I marched towards the door and nearly swung it open, meeting the back of a black leather jacket illuminated by our porch light.

Viktor turned around to face me, his expression cold and stiff but his eyes still warm and inviting, just like that first night he was at my house, dropping me off. I quickly stepped back in shock, allowing the door to stay open just a crack so that he wouldn't see me staring at my mom. She stared back quizzically, but said nothing and instead waited for me to explain.

"He's from school."

"Yes, I know that. He's one of the kids who they questioned for the case along with you, right?"

Damn. I should have known she would know this.

Almost as if reading my mind, she gave me a knowing look, starting to walk away towards the kitchen but not before saying, "Don't close the door entirely. And take your pepper spray with you."

"Mom—"

"Or maybe I could talk to him myself," she warned, raising her eyebrows challengingly. I reached for the black mace bottle that was on the entrance table and shook it playfully at her before shoving it into my shorts' pocket and opening the door, being greeted once again by Viktor's back.