3 - Potential

Much like before, as I walk through the portal, a wave of warmth passes over me, only for it to be replaced with a humid air.

Looking around, it seems as if I'm in a forest or a swamp, as all around me is trees and foliage.

Ding!

I hear the noise from the panel at the same time that I see it appear suddenly in front of me, and I start to read what is on it.

Eliminate your opponent.
[0/1]

Opponent? It isn't telling me to kill one of the people that was just in that space is it? Or is it telling me to find something in this forest and kill it?

As I stand there thinking, my attention is drawn to a strange noise in a bush to my left.

It was almost like a gurgle, but much scratchier. It pierced my ears in a way that made me wish I could cover them.

I slowly back away from the bush and put my sword up between us. I slow down my breathing and attempt to keep calm as the tension threatens to overwhelm me.

A few seconds pass when I start to see the bush shake slightly, before a small, green thing jumps out of it, holding a stick.

Its head was quite big when compared to its body, and its legs and arms were surprisingly thin, as if it had been starved for days.

It look around before locking eyes with me, and it let out a snarl that startled me a little.

Its eyes and teeth were a disgusting yellow and it moved as if it was a rabid animal. It shook the stick it was holding like it was a hammer or a sword, before pointing it at me.

I stood my ground even as it did that, to which it responded with a quick dash towards me.

Barely reacting in time, I stumble to my right as it brushes past me, seemingly annoyed that it missed.

Once again, it points the stick at me and starts to dash, but this time I knew what it was doing.

As it started to dash, I swung my sword downwards, catching it on its head and cutting deep into it, before stopping halfway through.

The stick still catches me in the stomach, though with much less force than was intended, so I barely felt it.

The thing's body falls limp, only staying upright because of my sword still being stuck in its head.

I quickly look away from the grotesque scene in front of me as I try to pry the sword out, to which I manage after a few pulls.

Ding!

Eliminate your opponent.
[1/1]

The panel appeared quickly, but was just as quickly replaced by another.

You have completed the quest.

You have been rewarded with:
[Status]
[Coldhead]
[50 coins]

What? A quest? Is that what that was? And what are these rewards?

I attempt to select the [Status] rewards, and when I do, another panel overlaps the one currently open, but doesn't close it.

[Status]
Shares information about the user on a display.
Activated though keyword "Status".