Chapter 32

LISA

At first I was just shocked. Capable of nothing. As if time stood still. I was trying to understand what she had just said and suddenly it was like I heard a voice in my head.

She lied. She lied. She lied... It whispered over and over again.

For some reason I knew it was right. Any normal person would probably have simply declared themselves crazy, because this assumption was also a lot more likely, but I believed... No, just knew that the voice spoke the truth and Jennie lied. Not that I wouldn't understand that she had doubts about our relationship, as much as I had given her in the few times we saw and now knew. Again and again I had pushed her away from me, made it clear to her that her efforts were in vain and she was bitterly disappointed in the end.

If I'm honest, I hoped her words were just a ridiculous lie. But I couldn't bring myself to consider anything else.

My eyes fell on Mr. Kim who was still standing in the middle of the room, silently watching us.

"Mr. Kim, would it be okay with you, now that we've met and opened up to each other, if we could continue the conversation any other time?" I addressed him politely.

"Sure." Jennie's father mumbled and nodded sympathetically, although this time no voice whispered to me that this was just for show, it was obvious that he didn't have the slightest shred of sympathy for or towards her daughter.

I quickly grabbed Jennie's arm and pulled her toward the door, reluctantly allowing her to be pulled along. Arriving in the hallway, however, she broke away from my grip and looked at me.

"It would be better if you go now." She said calmly.

"I won't go." I replied.

With a sigh, she ran her hands through her hair and tried the second time.

"Lisa, finally get it. I don't want you here." She spoke slowly, emphasizing each word.

Even before she finished speaking, I knew she was lying. Again there was that whisper which prevented me from believing her.

"I know you're not telling the truth, so let's talk about it in peace."

A little confused, Jennie followed me up the stairs. I walked down the hall, opened the door to her room and entered. Inside, I sat cross-legged on her bed, she stopped in front of me. She didn't seem like she wanted to start talking, so I did.

"Jennie, why did you lie to me? I know you don't want me to go, so why are you saying that?"

She turned away and looked out the window. It was raining outside. I couldn't help thinking about our first meeting. It had been night and it had poured like rain.

(Flashback)

At that very moment, as I was trying to recall my so hazy, far-off childhood feelings, still with my mouth open and eyes closed, letting the rain run down my throat, I heard a sound. Somewhere further to the right in the deserted park I had just crossed to get back into my house. It was a laugh, and I immediately clamped my mouth shut and stared intently in the direction it was coming from.

There was a girl about my age, maybe older I guess, hard to tell in the rain. She held something to her, a cell phone, what else?

She laughed again, then said mock annoyed and still with a grin on her face. "Oh my, you really can't be left in charge for half an hour." then she was silent for a moment, during which there was probably a conversation on the other end of the line. Before she started again. "Don't worry, I'll be right there and save you from certain starvation."

The first thing I noticed was the large plastic bag in her free hand, which was pretty hard to see in the rain, or maybe I hadn't noticed because I was too distracted by what was undoubtedly a pretty hot girl.

That was probably because for the last few minutes my mind had been on how to get her blood. The different scenarios ran through my brain.

I want her now!, spoke the voice inside me.

I should have taken canned blood with me, I could barely control myself.

I turned my gaze back to her, she had slowed down and was almost standing still. She was still smiling though.

"Chinese." She replied to the one on the other end. Seconds later she started laughing again. "Yeah, I'll hurry up, stop stressing." She said and walked a little faster again.

My breathing was uncontrolled, she was not far away and I was so hungry...

At that moment, as I thought about it, she suddenly looked up and her eyes met mine.

(Flashback End)

She was a stranger back then, all I wanted from her was her blood. And now, a few days later, she was an integral part of my life. From one day to the next, it seemed to me, she had become my sun. She brought light into my life and nothing and no one, not even herself, could change that.

Jennie snapped me out of my reverie.

"Why I lied to you? You're asking me? You promised me you wouldn't attack anyone again and then kept it a secret from me!" She said.

"I wanted to tell you but then I bit you, then my dad came and in between I just didn't think about it, okay?" I defended myself. "But what you pulled off is something else! I understand that you're angry, you kind of broke up with me in front of your dad in there after you told me - God knows how many times -, that you would never let me down."

At that moment, Jennie's resistance seemed to crumble and finally to crumble completely. She looked me in the eyes sadly.

"How did you know I lied?" She asked tiredly and I knew I had won.

"I have no idea, all of a sudden there was just a voice in my head that whispered to me that you were lying." I answered truthfully.

A small smile crept onto Jennie's face.

"Seems like we both gained special abilities from the bite. You can sense when I'm lying." She explained to me.

I had to admit that made sense, even before the mark she had told me that she could have supernatural abilities. But one question remained...

"So what is your ability?"