Chapter 6 - Mayor Lori Loud

"You're off this case, Loud," Said Sergeant Bentley.

"You can't do this to me, sir!" Shouted Lynn. They made it back to the police station after securing Robert Houlihan and the corpse of Salvatore Bianchi. Houlihan was taken to the hospital to treat his injuries, while the forensic science team was still combing the warehouse with a fine-tooth comb. The death of Bianchi was huge. His death would bring an inevitable power-vacuum in its wake with the rival families. However, that wasn't what worried him the most. It was this upstart Wild Card.

Bentley had received a call about a mass killing in Bianchi's penthouse office downtown. Upon arrival, detectives could only describe it as a massacre. Several big names in both the business, criminal and even political world were strewn across the floor. He had killed them all with some variant of Mustard Gas. He not only managed to successfully rob several of Bianchi's business fronts, but was able to deal a fatal blow to the Crime Lord himself. Many of his peers believed he was untouchable. The victims in this meeting were evidence that he had friends in high and low places. It even made him question if there were operatives of his on the force. The fact that this madman was able to catch him on his own turf and take both him and his cronies down frightened him to the core.

It meant they were dealing with someone far worse than Bianchi.

"You're too close to this loud," said Peters. "You'll be a liability."

"Sir, I have to be involved," said Lynn. "This man knows about my brother!"

"You don't know that," said Bentley. "He's obviously fixated on you for some unknown reason, and he's using your history with your brother to bait you. You'll get yourself killed."

"Sir, I know I can help," Lynn pleaded. "I won't get in the way. I'll follow Peters' orders to the letter. Please, keep me on this case."

Bentley pondered for a moment. Before he could answer, one of the officers knocked on his office door. "Come," he said. It was Conners. He shot a glance at Lynn before clearing his throat.

"It's Houlihan," He said. "He's stable and out of surgery."

"Good," said Bentley. "We need to keep a detail on him at all times. Peters," he said to the detective. "Get down there, find out what he knows about Wild Card as soon as he wakes up."

"Um. . . actually, sir," Said Conners nervously.

"Something else, Conners?" Said Bentley.

"He's awake already," Conners said. "He said he'll tell us what we know, but . . ." he shot another glance at Lynn. "He'll only speak to Loud."

"What?" Said Lynn, Bentley and Peters in unison.

"We tried to tell him that Peters was working the case, but he was adamant," said Conners. "He said he either speaks to Officer Loud, or not at all."

Bentley pinched the bridge of his nose, cursing under his breath. After a moment, he turned to Peters. "Take her with you."

"You can't be serious, Sarge," said Peters incredulously.

"It's easier to get water from a spigot than a stone," said Bentley. "If he'll talk to Loud, then let him talk to Loud. Now move it!"

Lynn and Peters made their way towards the reception desk at Royal Woods General Hospital. After having received Houlihan's room number, Peters led the way, while Lynn followed in suit.

"Listen, Loud," said Peters. "It's nothing against you, but I don't want you here. This is exactly what Wild Card wants. He may just be sending us in circles. Either way, he's got you in his crosshairs. The more we keep playing this freak's game, the more dangerous things will get, especially for you."