Chapter 12: From Bad To Worse

Lilly could hardly believe what she was seeing.

Her family was gathered around the television set in the gathering room of the bunker. It was set up to a satellite connection so that events of the outside world could be monitored. They watched in horror as they saw Lori bound and gagged and put on display while surrounded by the murdered victims of her psychotic captor. They desperately tried to contact Lynn, but she wasn't answering her phone. They had been waiting for hours for any update from Lori or Lynn, praying for their deliverance from this horrible villain.

About three hours later, the television erupted with another breaking news report. They held their breath as they hoped it would provide them with news of their sisters, hopefully that they have apprehended Wild Card, but their hopes were dashed as they saw the reporter at the scene of what looked to be ground zero of a massive bombing.

"This is Becky Hansen reporting to you live!" Shouted the reporter frantically, standing before the burning building behind her. "I am currently standing at what once was the Royal Woods First Police Precinct, the heart of all police activity in this once quiet city. We have just received word that the criminal Wild Card, who was apprehended by Officer Lynn Loud only an hour ago, has escaped custody after completely destroying the precinct with an unknown explosive device. It is not known at this time how or when it was installed, but it was not the only one."

"No. . ." said Rita, covering her mouth in horror.

"We have just received word that every police precinct within a 500 mile radius has likewise been destroyed," continued Becky. "This. . . this includes every police station in major cities such as Detroit, Lansing, and Ann Arbor. . ." she paused, as if she was trying to fathom what she was reporting herself. "This is an unprecedented attack. The police force of Michigan has been crippled. The remaining police presence we have is working with other emergency responders to contain the situation. We are receiving preliminary reports of the death toll reaching the several hundreds, with the likely possibility of reaching the thousands upon further analysis. Officer Lynn Loud, who was interviewing the suspect in question, has been rushed to the hospital with minor injuries."

Luna dropped onto the couch, unable to summon words. Sam wrapped her arms around her in comfort. She couldn't believe what was happening. Lynn and Lori were supposed to bring this monster down. Instead, he managed to capture their oldest sibling and injured Lynn, he completely devastated their police force, and managed to escape.

"Is. . . is Lynn and Lori going to be okay?" Asked Lilly, clutching Leni in fear.

"They will, honey," Said Lynn Sr. Despite the fear he felt, he desperately tried to keep himself together to prevent his family from panicking.

"Are we in danger?" Asked Lola.

"We're safe as long as we are here," Rita assured her. "We'll be–" she paused as there was the familiar sound of the elevator from the surface descending into the bunker. Perhaps it was Lucy or Lisa. They had been anxiously waiting for them to arrive since Lynn and Lori told them they were coming. Now that they were here, they could rest easy knowing the rest of the family was safe. Rita and Lynn walked over towards the elevator, eager to see who was coming down, only to have their hearts sink at the sight of the familiar card-themed mask that stared back at them.

"Honey, I'm home!" Said Wild Card, laughing maniacally.

Lori and Lisa crept quietly through the darkened corridors of their captor's hideout. She and Lisa had escaped the laboratory with relative ease. Lisa made it clear that she could have escaped at any time, but if she had, Lincoln would have detonated the bombs planted in their homes, thus holding her captive with something greater than any lock and key.