Chapter 16 - Transposition

Luna Loud pulled up to the therapy center and parked her car, sighing deeply before getting out. She had been attending therapy sessions since she was released from the hospital. Her family had caught her using again, and wanted to nip the problem in the bud as quickly as possible before it got out of hand again. Luna was more ashamed than anything else, as she broke her promise to Sam to never do narcotics again.

Not like that mattered anymore.

Thoughts of Sam brought horrible pain to the former rocker's heart. She paused briefly as she felt a lump form in her throat. Her world was spinning out of control. Nothing made sense anymore. Her wife was gone, and what's worse, she was killed at the hands of her brother, turned into a homicidal terrorist because of a mistake that she allowed to happen despite her gut telling her to put a stop to it. Sam was dead because of her. That was never going to wash out.

She knew her family was worried about her. She wasn't using the drugs just to not feel anymore, but she was secretly hoping that it would help her drift away into eternity. In the end, however, she was too afraid to actually go through with it, and her family was able to convince her to get help. She knew she was feeling selfish, as killing herself would only bring more pain to her already suffering family, but the reappearance of her brother, coupled with the death of her wife, brother and brother-in-law, was too painful to bear. She didn't know what she was going to do–

Luna jumped as she suddenly felt the ground tremble beneath her, shaking her from her thoughts. She looked in terror as a large wall of energy was enveloping the city and approaching her at an alarming speed. She turned to flee but was unable to escape the blast. She covered her eyes, bracing herself for the inevitable.

It never came.

She slowly opened her eyes, confused. That confusion only grew as she surveyed her surroundings. Several of the cars in the parking lot that were there before were missing, replaced by different cars. The building adjacent to the care center, which was undergoing construction, suddenly looked brand-new. Even the sky looked different, having been cloudy with a chance of rain before, now it was bright and sunny.

Luna took several deep breaths, trying to steady herself. She turned and entered the care center building, approaching the receptionist hurriedly. "Good morning!" Said the receptionist cheerfully. Luna paused, as she noticed that the woman she had met every time she arrived at her therapy sessions looked different. Instead of the bob-style haircut and blue dress, she was wearing her hair in a long ponytail in a white blouse and black skirt.

"Hey, dudette," said Luna, hurriedly pointing towards the transparent office doors and windows. "Did you see that just now?!"

The woman looked outside and then back to Luna, confused. "See what, ma'am?" She asked, bemused.

"Something weird just happened!" Said Luna. "A giant wave of some sort. You didn't see that?"

"No. . ." said the receptionist. "Did you have an appointment?"

"Uh. . . yeah," said Luna. "I'm meeting with Doctor Lopez."

The secretary looked confused. "I'm sorry," she said. "Dr. Lopez left the center to pursue other opportunities 6 months ago."

"What?" Said Luna, stunned. "That's impossible, I met with her here last week!"

The secretary looked thoroughly confused now. "Can I get your name, please?" She asked. "Maybe I can look it up."

"Seriously, dudette?" Luna asked. "You've seen me every Thursday for the past four months. It's Luna Loud!"

"Luna Loud," said the receptionist, pondering. "Oh! My daughter listens to your music! I thought I recognized you."