Chapter 1

5 years later

Harper:

"Above all things I believe in love. Love is like oxygen." I can hear the movie blaring from Lauren's Kitchen. I grab the nearly empty bowl and pour the microwaved popcorn we made earlier into it. I take a handful of kernel's and tossed them into my mouth. It's cold and slightly stale but beggars can't be choosers.

"Oh come on, that joke wasn't even funny!" I hear Alice yell at the tv. In the 10 years I've known her she's always been terrible to watch movies with.

"Why cant you ever just enjoy a movie," i say as i walk into the movie room and sit in the fort that we made earlier next to her, i see her short brown hair reflecting the light of the tv screen, "you'd be a terrible movie date."

"I wouldn't be that bad." 

"yes, yes you would," I look around and see Princeton Brown and Lauren Reeves asleep on the couch Cuddling, her brown hair covering his face and his skin looking very pale when it's up against hers, "weren't they fighting like 20 minutes ago?"

"Yeah but you know how it is for them, they fight about the same topic then fall asleep together like there dating or something."

"Was the fight their normal topic?" I ask, "I was in the bathroom and by the time I got back they were done fighting, I could hear them through the walls."

"Yeah I don't know why they fight about that so much." she said taking a drink from her water bottle, "they both had bad things happen. Why is it like a contest or something to them?" 

"I don't know." i went back to watching the movie.

We never had anything bad happen to us yet, sometimes it makes me feel bad because I feel like I had special treatment from the universe or something. I never had my siblings die like Lauren I've never had my parents fight or my dad leave like Prince, I get straight A's, have a nice job, a car, and pretty much anything a girl could ask for but something has always seemed off. that's the worst part. I don't know what's wrong and it feels bad to be complaining about something so unknown and not life changing. Alice is different though. She always seems like she knows everything and has confidence I will never have. I wish I could be like her, her beauty and carefreeness, but I'll always be the uptight overthinking one.

"Seriously, who let this actor act?"

"Alice, it's a movie!"

"It's bad."

"Please never go to the movie theaters."

"I hate movie theaters."

"Good" I responded. I hear movement on the couch behind me and turn to look I see Prince waking up and trying to move Lauren without waking her but it doesn't work. 

"Hey" he says.

"Good morning Princess," Alice jokes, "did you have a nice sleep?" 

"No actually I was being crushed." 

"Sorry" Lauren interrupts. 

"It's fine" he sits down next to me.

"When are your parents home Lauren?" Alice asks.

"Like ten am tomorrow," she replies "we should do something fun, we should get ice cream."

"I'm down" Prince says.

"I want to finish this movie but you guys can go without me if you want" I say.

"I don't want to go either I'm not hungry" Alice winks at me and I laugh.

"Okay we will be right back" Lauren yells as Prince gets up and starts to flow her to the door.

"Have fun" I yell. 

we go back to watching the movie and after a little while Alice looks at me, "can we talk?" she sound's concerned.

"yeah what's up?" I pause the movie.

"Well first I have to tell you something, I've been scared to tell you this because I don't know I know you'll be fine with it but I-"  she starts to ramble. 

"Just get to the point please the movie is just getting good," I interrupt sounding a little meaner then I meant too.

"I like girls, I've known for a while now but it was never the right time to and right now felt like the right time with Moulin Rouge in the background crap this most definitely was not the right time," her face is getting really red and she looks regretful, "just forget I said anything okay." 

"Thanks for telling me. You can like who ever you want and I'll love you either way. Also I kind of could tell," I say

"so you'r okay with it?"

"Of corse!!"

"Oh thank god" she sighed.

I reach for the remote to resume the movie "One more thing," she blurts out.

"yes?"

"I like you."

"I like you too you'r the best friend I could ask for!"

"No, I have a crush on you. I have sense 6th grade I din't know what the feeling was until 8th but it has always been there. I love you as a lot more then a friend and I-" she starts to cry.

"What, no, you cant be telling me this." I yell and begin to cry too. 

"I'm sorry I've tried to stop liking you but I can't."

"I- I have to go." 

"wait I'm sorry just please forget it." 

"I can't," I stand up and grab my backpack. 

"I'm- I'm sorry," she is crying even harder now.

"goodbye, tell Lauren and Prince I got sick." I walk out the door.

when I get to my car I actually feel sick. why did she say that. She wasn't suppose to. it wasn't in the plan. I start to drive home.