2. You Might Be Right

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Eddie out of my head. I hadn't told anyone that I couldn't get him out of mind though. Mike would be super uncomfortable with it and Nancy would probably question my judgement. Besides, I'm the sibling that gets told the secrets, not the one that tells them. 

On Monday morning, Nancy drove the three of us to school like usual. Although Nancy and Mike were arguing about something in the car, my thoughts kept returning to Eddie. I was starting to get irritated with myself because I needed to stay focused on my classes. Junior year was proving to be the hardest year of high school yet and I was determined to finish with straight A's. Letting myself get distracted by a boy was not an option. 

When we arrived to school, I got out and walked myself to my locker. Mike ran off to catch up with Dustin and Nancy went straight to the school newspaper office. While sorting through my books and folders, I heard something that made me freeze. "Hey, other Wheeler!"

I turned around to see Eddie walking towards me. I must have looked like a deer in headlights because I had no idea why he would be trying to get my attention. He walked right up to me and asked, "Have you seen your brother? He left his dice at Hellfire on Friday and I need to get them back to him". Shaking myself out of my state of shock from Eddie speaking with me, I somehow was able to tell him that Mike went to meet up with Dustin. "Thanks" Eddie said and then ran off with a wave.

I turned back to my locker and took a deep breath. What was this man doing to me? I've had crushes before, but none that consumed me like this. I needed to do something about this, so I went to find my one good friend at this school, Robin.

Robin and I met in band, she played the trumpet and I played the clarinet. We were both quiet and a little awkward so we naturally gravitated towards each other. She's a little weird, but that's a quality that I like apparently, my crush on Eddie confirming that. We've been friends for a few years now and she's the one I tell secrets to when I can't tell my siblings. I must be her secret person too because she has trusted me with some big ones. 

Finding Robin at her locker, I pulled her aside

Finding Robin at her locker, I pulled her aside. "I need your help."

"What's up?" Robin asked concerned.

"I can't stop thinking about a guy that I seem to have developed a crush on and it's driving me crazy."

Robin laughed a little. "You sound like Steve." She said referring to Steve Harrington, her co-worker turned new best friend. I would be lying if I didn't admit that I was slightly jealous that Robin and Steve had been spending so much time together. Ever since they became friends, I've seen Robin a lot less. The same thing happened when Steve and Nancy dated, so I guess I've grown a bit of resentment towards him. 

I ignored Robin's comment and told her that I was being serious. I needed her help figuring out how to get thoughts of him out my head. She did give me some advice, "You either need ask this guy out or find something or someone else to focus on."

Now it was my turn to laugh. "I'm definitely not asking him out. So I guess I need to find something else to focus on."

"Good luck! I gotta get to class, see you at lunch!" And with that, Robin was gone and I was left with my irritating thoughts.

However, when I went to English that day, my problem was solved for me. We were assigned a huge research paper that would definitely be consuming all of my time and focus. I thought that this assignment would do the trick, but I was wrong.

Robin and I had just gotten our trays from the lunch line and were walking back to our table when Eddie crossed our path. In the past, me being the invisible person I am, Eddie would have just kept going, but not anymore. As he passed us, he smiled and waved at me and said for the second time today, "Hey, other Wheeler".

My face must have turned red or I must have been in a state of shock because as soon as we sat down, Robin looked at me and said a little louder than my liking, "No way, your crush is Eddie 'The Freak' Munson?!"

"Ssshhhhh!" I covered her mouth with my hand. I was not about to let the first rumors about me be that I liked Eddie Munson. 

Robin pulled my hand away from her face. "Sorry!" She said in an hushed tone. "I didn't even know you two knew each other."

"We met last Friday when I picked Mike up from his Hellfire club." I explained. 

"Well I am in full support. You could use a little fun and rebellion in your life." Robin teased. 

I looked over at Eddie sitting at his table, he was making some weird face and talking enthusiastically with his friends. Without taking my eyes off of Eddie, I said to Robin, "I think you might be right".