15. Calm Before The Storm

The week went by with Nancy and I exchanging very few words. It wasn't like us to hold grudges for this long and continue and argument for longer than a day or two. I was honestly missing my sister at this point. Although I wanted to make amends, I didn't feel like I could. Our whole confrontation started when I asked her about how things were going in her life. Trying to get personal and have a conversation seemed like something that would only make the situation worse. I decided that it was going to be up to Nancy to come to me and start the conversation. I just hope it doesn't take too long.

In addition to not speaking with Nancy, Eddie and I had not spoken very much this week. Aside from our occasional evening phone calls, we hadn't seen much of each other. We agreed to keep our arrangement on the down low as to not attract unwanted attention to it. Both of us wanted to continue to get to know each other and feel it out without dealing with questions or criticisms. Because of this, we hadn't spoken much at school, only in passing. However, Eddie agreed to come over on Friday night and it was finally Friday! I was so looking forward to having some quality social interaction again.

I still talked to Robin everyday, but I hadn't told her about the new developments with Eddie. Most of our conversations were spent with her fawning over Vickie and me trying to convince her to ask her out. All of my attempts were unsuccessful. I couldn't blame Robin though, her asking Vickie out was much riskier than me asking Eddie out. 

With everything going on, Mike had sensed that something was up. On Friday morning, after Nancy went her separate way after dropping us off, Mike approached me. "Hey Y/N, what's going on?"

"What do you mean?" I asked even though I definitely knew what he meant.

Mike gave me a serious look. I could tell he didn't want to play games. "You and Nancy have hardly spoken to each other and you've spoken on the phone more this week than I think you have your whole life. Tell me what's going on."

I sighed feeling defeated. As much as I wanted to keep Mike out of things, I knew he wouldn't leave me alone until I told him the truth. "Nancy and I got into an argument about something stupid and now we aren't talking. I'm waiting for her to apologize."

"You really think she will be the one to admit she was wrong first?" Mike questioned.

I thought about it. "No... but I just don't feel like I can be the one to talk to her about what's going on, that's all." 

Mike accepted my answer. "Okay... and what about the phone?"

"In regards to the phone... Eddie and I are kinda somewhat dating, but you can't tell anyone about it. Promise?"

Mike grinned. "I knew it!"

"Promise you won't tell anyone!" I insisted.

"I promise." Mike said, still with a big grin across his face. 

_____________

The school day dragged on. Time always seems to do this. It moves as slow as it possibly can when you're waiting for something exciting to happen and today was no exception. Each class period felt like it took twice as long, and it didn't help that I was constantly looking at the clock to see how much time had passed. When the final school bell rang at the end of the day, I felt relief and giddiness. Not even Nancy's weighted sighs and looks in the car on the ride home lowered my good mood.

When I got home, I ran up to my room to clean and tidy up before Eddie arrived after dinner. Around 4:30 the doorbell rang and nervousness spread through my body. Eddie was early. I ran downstairs to open the door. My nervousness disappeared when I saw who it was. Dustin. "Hey Dustin, what's up?" I asked.

"Hi Y/N, may I come in? Mike and I are having a movie marathon in the basement tonight." He explained.

" He explained

"Oh, sure." I said and stepped out of the way for Dustin to come in.

I turned to see Mike who I must have beaten to answering the door. Dustin was making his way downstairs when I pulled Mike aside. I spoke to him in a hushed tone. "Eddie is coming over tonight. Dustin cannot know about us. Got it?"

"Got it." Mike replied, freeing himself from the corner I trapped him in.

"I'm serious!" I yelled in his direction as he made his way to the basement. A wave of his hand is all I got in return.

I spent the next hour and a half before Eddie arrived stressing over details and thoughts about how tonight would go. Eddie had been over plenty of times and he has spent plenty of time in my room with me before, but this time just felt different. It was the first time that we were going to hang out since starting our quasi-relationship. 

When Eddie did arrive, he didn't need to ring the doorbell because I had been watching for him. I didn't want to give Dustin any reason to come upstairs and find Eddie and myself. Keeping this in mind, I hurried Eddie up to my room as soon as he walked in. "Everything okay?" Eddie questioned as I rushed him up the stairs.

"Yeah... It's just that Dustin is here hanging out with Mike and I don't want him to know that you're here too." I admitted.

Eddie let out a small laugh. "Henderson is here?" I nodded my head, answering his question. "Well then there's no hiding us, I guarantee you that he will have found out about us by the end of the night. He's obnoxiously observant and inquisitive."

I shrugged my shoulders, trying to hide my anxiousness and blow it off. I hoped Eddie was wrong about Dustin, but I knew that he wasn't. All I knew now though, was that tonight would be anything but boring.