4: The Almost

"Jake?" I whispered as I turned to the man standing just a few feet behind me. A black hood was pulled over his head, a few dark strands of hair peeking out, his face mostly hidden in the shadows. The sleeves of the black hoodie were rolled up to his elbows. He was skinny, but not scrawny.

"It's me, Charlee." He assured me. His voice was musical as he said my name again, even with the small amount of disbelief. Neither of us could believe we were standing in front of one another for the first time. Something that had seemed like an unattainable dream was actually happening.

I didn't even hesitate as I rushed forward and threw myself into his arms. He held me like he had done it a thousand times before, his arms tight around me with my face shoved into his chest. I could smell the smoke from the mines. Lifting my head, I finally got to see his face.

His hair was just long enough to sweep over his soft brown eyes, eyes like little pools of honey that glittered in the sunlight. They studied my face as I studied his. Taking in every angle and curve. My cheeks heated as my gaze focused on his lips. Lips that I so desperately wanted against my own. I had dreamed of this moment, pictured him a thousand times and somehow the reality was even better.

"I was so scared." I admitted, voice trembling as I pressed my face into his chest again. It felt insane, how comfortable I felt in his arms. I'd expected our first meeting to feel awkward as we sized each other up, and yet it was anything but awkward. Instead, it was like I was finally right where I belonged. "Thank you for coming back to me."

"I promised." He whispered as my head tilted back up to look at him. I gently pulled the hood off his head, my breath catching as my finger trailed through his soft black hair.

Our eyes locked, a million unsaid words passing between us. He cupped my face, a heat spreading from his touch throughout my body. His eyes darted down to my lips, his arms tightening around my waist somehow pulling me closer. My heart raced as our faces slowly inched closer, my arms wrapping around his neck. My eyes fluttered closed as his breathe tickled my face.

"Charlee? Jake?" Lilly's soft voice broke through the spell, both Jake and I swiveled towards her.

Disappointment swept over me. We had been so close. I tried to keep the glare off my face as I stepped out of his arms; his hand caught me and squeezed. A promise to continue later. I would make sure he delivered on that promise. 

As soon as I stepped away Lilly threw her armsaround Jake with such a force that he stumbled back a step. His shouldersstiffened before relaxing. I knew he still felt guilty about coming into herlife, but he didn't need to. Lilly had already accepted him with open arms, nowall he had to do was let it happened.

*******************************************************

Weirdly this chapter is a bit shorter than the last couple, but I couldn't help but leave it here. Don't worry the next chapter will have plenty of Jake and Charlee.

xoxo