𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 - 𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧

Ezra and Jess sat in a small coffee shop, their latte's now half empty and getting cold

Ezra and Jess sat in a small coffee shop, their latte's now half empty and getting cold. Jess was intent on interrogating Ezra. With little success.

  "You don't even have to tell me, I already know". Jess crossed their arms over their chest, glowering at Ezra. "But if you want to say it out loud just for the record, you can."

  Ezra laughed. "No, I don't think I will."

"I have thirty bucks riding on this Barlowe, I need to know." Jess begged, clutching Ezra's collar.

  "I will not be threatened into revealing information. And don't you have better things to do today than badger me about my romantic dealings?" Ezra raised a brow, gingerly pulling Jess' hands away.

  "So you admit that the dealings with you and Odessa are, in fact, romantic?!"

  "Jess. . ." Ezra warned.

"Alright fine." They relented. "I guess I'm just worked up this week and looking for a distraction."

  "Busy schedule?"

"Yeah. I have to finish up the costume designs for a theatre production. On top of that I have a family dinner tomorrow that I'm dreading."

  "Why didn't you tell me?" Ezra said. "I could just come with you to the dinner." He knew well enough about Jess' family life. It's what they had commiserated over as kids and it's what brought them together as friends. But, Jess didn't seem to want to talk about that much lately.

"No, it's fine. My parents think you're a bad influence anyway."

  "What? They used to love me."

  "Yeah, before they thought you were gay."

"They think I'm gay?"

  Jess nodded, counting out a list on their fingers. "Apparently you dress too nicely, are too good at drawing and you're too passive to be straight. So they think me being non-binary is your fault."

  "That's both hilarious and ridiculous." Ezra chuckled dryly.

"Mhhmm." Jess mumbled. "Although, I'm kind of thinking of bringing you now just to piss them off."

  "No, Jess. I've already gone without Mrs. Huang's crayfish for long enough. I can't jeopardize that further." Ezra defended.

  "As casually homophobic as she can be, that doesn't seem to impact the quality of her food."

  "She seasons her dishes with hate and prejudice, that's why they're so spicy."

  The two laughed.

"Seriously though," Ezra continued. "Your family cares about you. You know you are an amazing designer and person and I'm sure they are happy to see you work hard and be successful, regardless of how you identify."