Chapter 3 Uplift Reserve

Veronica Dare's Recon Helmet clanged as it hit the floor, the ODSTs who discovered the charred object gazing out the window of the fifth floor and to the desolate streets of New Mombasa. . .

New Nav Data

Their HUDs glowed for a moment, a green rhombus appearing on the 'S' of their compass.

Rookie: . . .

Amethyst: Welp, breaks over Rookie.

Rookie: . . .

Amethyst: Dare? Well, only way to find out is to see what this is. . . Whoever's updating our objective has to be doing it for a reason. . .

And so, the Trooper's began their next mission. Creeping through the dark halls of the building, they sunk down to the streets of the city. . .

The streets of Tayari Plaza were littered with corpses of Hunters, Brutes, Grunts, every last species that had joined the Covenant laid dead on the ground. . .

Amethyst: Holy. . . What happened here?

Rookie: . . .

Amethyst: Yeah, a nightmare does not seem far off. . .

RAGH! Hold the creature still!

The two soldiers immediately hid behind a car, Silenced SMGs primed and ready. . . Down the street were three Brutes, attaching metallic objects to something. . . They had never seen before.

Rookie: . . .

Amethyst: (Whispers) I wish I could tell you. Come on, let's slip by 'em while they're busy.

Elizabeth steered them beneath an underpass, the support beams providing just enough cover for them to inch closer to the staircase beside the trio of Brutes. . . Unfortunately, there was nothing to hide with between the last pillar and the high ground. . .

And then, the creature held down by the Brutes screeched, it's armor blindingly glowing. The ODSTs shut their eyes as the ground shook, the Huragok detonating into a blaze of bright blue plaza! The Brutes were completely engulfed by the explosion and wiped off the face of the Earth. . .

Amethyst: . . . Holy shit.

Rookie: ?!?!?!

Amethyst: L-Let's not mess with whatever those things are. . .

With a nervous nod, the Rookie took point, Amethyst following close behind as they headed toward the waypoint. . . .

The sky rumbled as rain began to fall, the war-torn city's everlasting flames calming every so slightly. . .

The newest member to Alpha-Nine and the Second-in-Command to the cell stayed close to lifeless buildings, hugging the walls. . .

Rookie: . . . . .

They made their way through New Mombasa, calmly careful. Sectors of the city opened themselves up to them as they journeyed, the ODSTs evading the Covenant and slowly making it closer to viridian marker on their visor. . .

Amethyst: My first mission. . .?

Rookie: (Nods)

Amethyst: Wow. . . I didn't think anyone was left from New Jerusalem. . .

Rookie: . . .

Amethyst: You are definitely one tough cookie. Heh, Cookie. . . Rookie.

Rookie: (Sighs) . . .

Amethyst: Yeah, I know I'm dodging the question. . . I don't really like talking about it.

Rookie: . . .