Chapter 5 ONI Alpha Site

A spotlight shined over the stranded ODSTs, the two shielding their eyes as the Phantom hovering above them began to descend over Kizingo Boulevard. . .

Amethyst: I don't think we're avoiding the fight this time!

The two ducked behind the mounds of cover as the Phantom fired concussion blasts, their gravity lifts opening and lowering four Brutes equipped with jump-packs, and two Jackals armed with Beam Rifles.

Rookie: . . . (Breathes)

The silent soldier peered over the sandbags and aimed his Silence Pistol, pulling the trigger and sending a narrow bullet spinning through the air, the shot hitting one of the Jackals between the eyes!

He was forced back into cover as the Phantom arose, flying above the buildings and hovering away.

Amethyst: Holy, that was one hell of a shot!

Rookie: . . .

Amethyst: Later!

The Troopers rose up, firing together to try and take down the other Jackal while the Brutes began leaping through the air to reach them! The Pilot's eyes widened as she shoved herself down, a blue beam nearly piercing through her head!

Amethyst: Damn!

She peeked again, only to see the Jackal dead. . .

Amethyst: . . . Geez, Rookie, where did this come from?!

Rookie: (Shrugs)

The Brutes closed in, one rising high enough to toss a grenade onto the balcony!

Amethyst: JUMP-!

The ODSTs threw themselves off the Gauss Turret's mound and fell to the street below, the girl rolling into her fall and landing on her feet while the Rookie collapsed on his front!

Amethyst: Come on!

She grabbed him and yanked him off the ground, the two running out of the way as the Brutes opened fire, red hot plasma striking the walls of the structures around them!

One Brute attempted to jump right on top of them, the humans facing him at once with their Silenced SMGs, emptying their mags into its shield, shattering them and riddling its body with holes before the Brute even reached the ground! Amethyst tossed away her weapon and snagged the Brute Plasma Rifle from the corpse, the two retreating into an alley as the Brutes began to push!

Amethyst: I get their shields, you pop their heads. Okay?

Rookie: (Nods)

Amethyst: Alright!

She took out a flashbang and primed it.

Amethyst: Three! Two! One! GO!

A blinding flash of light stunned the three remaining Brutes, each of them stumbling as they roared in rage and lashed out at any sound the heard! One felt an overwhelming heat, Lizzie pelting it with plasma and easily melting its shields! The Rookie took aim and fired, bullet piercing its head! The second Brute quickly suffered the same fate!

The final Brute recovered from the flashbang right as Amethyst's Plasma Rifle overheated! She nearly dropped the weapon, crying out as her gloves turned to ash and her skin felt the raw heat!

She jumped at the last Brute as it drew a Spiker, the energy connecting the top and bottom of the Brute Plasma Rifle crackling as Amethyst roared and thrusted it into the Major's chest, the wild energy releasing against the Brute's shields and breaking them down!

A quiet bullet entered its skull and brought it down, the Rookie rushing over to his partner as she tossed away the scorched Plasma Rifle, her adrenaline fading away as she tightly clutched her right hand. Cauterized blood stained the third degree burns, her skin torn and charred. . .