Moving On

Rapunzel entered the empty manor with Cassandra and Eugene at her side, looking around in disbelief. Just as a guard had reported, the village had been completely emptied out. And, judging by the fact that the guards reported seeing something in the darkness just before being hit with a green dust, they must've left the Kingdom entirely.

She numbly walked through the manor, realizing with a start that she'd never been in it before. Every room looked as empty as an inn, with only the basic furniture left behind. She clutched at her hair in a self-soothing way, then turned to go, pausing when she saw something on an empty bed. She went over and picked it up, gasping as she saw her name on a tag around a scroll. "What?" She took off the cord keeping it shut and opened it.

[Rapunzel,

I understand that you have probably been very busy,

and in this case that worked out in my favor.

I wish you'd taken the time to visit before, though,

but we can't dwell on wishes and what-ifs.

Between the rocks and the snowstorm,

our village has been destroyed.

All we have left is the people and what

few belongings we could hold onto.

We're done with waiting for the King to stop ignoring us.

We're done with waiting for a miracle that won't come.

And I'm done with waiting on a promise that clearly

isn't going to be fulfilled.

So, this is goodbye.

I hope you are well, and perhaps we will meet again someday.

My father has a piece of a scroll that holds the secret to

fighting the rocks, which were sent by something called the

"Moonstone Opal"- your counterpart, Sundrop.

I told you they had a connection to you.

I'm going to collect the rest of the scroll and translate it

and stop the rocks.

Because someone has to.

All my best,

Varian]

"Sunshine, here you—what's wrong?" Eugene walked up to her and she wiped at her eyes, tears still slipping from her eyes as she passed the letter to him.

"...Oh, man." Eugene sighed. "Well, what do you want to do?"

"Catch up to them." She cleared her throat. "The rocks came looking for me, they found me, and now they've smashed a wall open to encourage me to follow them. So, I'm going to follow them. I'm sure we'll find the citizens of Old Corona out there on the way."

"Yeah, well, we have to convince your dad." Eugene glanced at the letter. "Maybe...don't tell him about this letter. It's chock-full of 'disrespect'."

"Don't worry, Eugene. I'll make him listen to me." Rapunzel said firmly. "Destiny is calling and I'm finally going to answer it." She walked out of the room and Eugene followed.