New Home

The Dark Kingdom's castle was, well, dark. King Edmund led them through a throne room and then to a dining hall where he lit a fire in the fireplace. "I'm afraid we don't have much here. It's just been me and the ravens for...a couple decades." He said as he turned to them.

"Hector hasn't been around?" Quirin asked.

"Well, we write, but not really." King Edmund shrugged. "So...why did you never tell us that you were, uh, giving up celibacy for a mission from the Moon?"

"You were celibate?" Varian looked up at him.

"I was." Quirin nodded. "I wanted to devote myself entirely to the Moon. Then, well...things happened, and I was sent to find a wife and birth a host for the Moonstone Opal."

"Which is me." Varian nodded.

"So, where is the opal thing, anyway?" Soul asked.

"I would prefer if Varian and Quirin go to it alone." King Edmund said, looking at her.

"Aww, what?" She pouted. "But, I wanna watch!"

"Soul," her father gently scolded, "let's be respectful."

"Uh, I'd actually like it if they came with me." Varian nodded.

"And I'd like to watch as well, if that's okay?" Rapunzel said, raising her hand.

"We don't even know what will happen." Quirin turned to her. "Are you sure?"

"I came this far, I want to see it to the end." Rapunzel nodded firmly.

"I don't mind her coming." Varian smiled. "I'd like all my friends to join me for it."

"The room isn't that big, pick a few." Quirin chuckled.

Varian looked thoughtful. "...Okay, then. You, Soul, Clyde and Princess Rapunzel, then."

Quirin nodded. "That should be fine."

"Is that alright, Your Majesty?" Clyde turned to him.

"Well...as long as Quirin will be there." King Edmund nodded. "The rest of you will stay here. I will send Hamuel to let Hector know what is happening. He has been in the Great Tree, keeping vigilant."

"Yeah, we were gonna meet Aunt Adira there but, once we reached the ocean, dad decided that we'd just bypass it and head for the docks here. They're not broken anymore, by the way." Varian smiled.

"Well...then, I imagine they are together. Considering how tense things were when they parted, I suspect the reunion has not been pleasant." King Edmund sighed.

"Can we wait for them to arrive to do this?" Varian asked. "Do you think the Moon will wait?"

"I think...that's something only you can find out." King Edmund said, looking at him. "You or Quirin. I have not heard the Moon's voice in...well, she's probably still angry with me."

"I will ask her. Why don't you work with King Edmund and get everyone settled in for the night?" Quirin suggested, placing his hand on Varian's shoulder. He beamed and nodded and Quirin nodded before he walked out of the room.

"So...what was your mother like?" King Edmund asked.

Varian looked at him. "Where are the guest rooms here?"

"I'll show you to them." He nodded. "Just let me send a letter first." He walked out of the room.

Varian turned back to the others. "Okay, so, once he's back we'll go pick out rooms to stay in and I'll see about building a city for us once I have the Moonstone Opal."