Fortune

"Alright, Max, let's head out!" Eugene said as he and Rapunzel left the area on Maximus and Fidella.

Varian looked out the window of his caravan, raising an eyebrow, and set down his book to go out. "Hey, uh, dad?"

"Yes, Varian?" Quirin asked, easily evading Cassandra's sword.

"Princess Rapunzel and Mr. Rider just took off." Varian pointed where they went.

"Yes, they asked for 'some time alone' and Eugene assured me that they would be safe. I told him that if she wasn't, he was cleaning the barn." Quirin said calmly, then blocked Cassandra's next strike with his sword. "You're getting better, but still sloppy." He shoved forward and she yelped and fell back on her butt.

Varian walked over to them and offered her a hand up. "Swap with me?"

"Which one?" She groaned. "Ow."

"I guess I'll spar with dad, then. You go get some rest." He nodded towards her caravan.

"Lance and Hookfoot are having some kind of debate in there, no thanks." Cassandra said as she rubbed at her lower back.

"You need some proper armor, really." Quirin chuckled. "Varian, think you could make her some?"

"I'll need to get the materials for it, but the closest town isn't likely to have what I need. I could go mining..." He looked thoughtful.

"No, I'll...I'll be okay." Cassandra assured them. "Really."

Varian shrugged. "Well, if you insist." He looked over to the side. "Wha—Hey, Clyde! What are you and Soul doing?!" He headed over to them.

Cassandra looked over curiously and followed him. "Hey, Varian?"

"Hey, Varian." Clyde grinned as Soul climbed out of his arms and onto a tree branch. "We're trying to get Ruddiger out of the tree."

"And why didn't you call Gold to help?" Varian asked, raising an eyebrow.

"We were right here." Clyde shrugged.

"Oh, for the love of..." He looked up. "Soul! You don't have to—"

"Varian, don't look up!" Soul yelped, holding her skirt close to her body.

Varian groaned and looked to another part of the tree. "Ruddiger! Get down here right now!"

The raccoon looked down at him, then at the apple in his hand, and slowly made his way down. Soul climbed down into Clyde's arms again and was set down as soon as Ruddiger jumped out of the tree.

"Why didn't you just climb up yourself?" Varian asked, looking at Clyde.

"Soul insisted." Clyde shrugged. "Anyways, it looks like Miss Cassandra wanted to talk to you?"

"Just 'Cassandra' is fine." Cassandra said, smiling awkwardly. "Anyways, uh...how come you two weren't at the expo?"

Varian cleared his throat. "Uh, let's not talk about the—"

"Well, Soul offered to help him out, but Varian said he was hoping to get help from someone in the Capital." Clyde smirked at Soul, who was pouting now. "From what we heard, that didn't pan out so well."

Soul glared at Cassandra and grabbed Varian's hand as she stomped away, pulling him along.

"Yeah, his first meeting with Flynn Rider didn't go so well, either. Never meet your heroes, eh?" Clyde shrugged and followed them.

Cassandra ran her hand through her hair. "...Okay, then."

Varian looked back at her, then sighed. "Soul, I'm glad that you're standing up for me and, Clyde, it's nice that you're being nice full-time, but I kind of want to actually be friends with Cassandra, too."