Longing

Albedo tends to wake up early, almost as soon as the sunlight peeks through his window. It's simply a habit of his - a good inner clock - nothing more. He usually starts his day by dressing up and eating a small breakfast, although sometimes he bathes in a river not too far from his house.

However, today he didn't wake up alone. There was a guest in another bedroom. Keyword: was.

He had found only an empty bed full of ruffled sheets and the feeling that came with this realisation was certainly unexpected. It wasn't quite disappointment, still not quite longing, a bit of pity, and— he doesn't know— doesn't know how to describe it.

Usually, he'd be glad he doesn't have to spend time with somebody because it'd ruin his plans for the day. He was meant to go to the city today, but he feels as though if he spent this day with Aether, it'd be more colourful and interesting. More fun.

Why would he want his day to be more fun, though? Is he tired of his routine? Is he lonely? Surely not. So what's the reason?

See, Albedo wants to discover the truth of this curious world - he'd like to know more. So, if any questions arise, he simply needs to find the answer. His brain is simply wired this way. Perhaps his mother was the one who connected the wires like this, but— let's not get off track.

He needs to find the reason for why he longs (?) for Aether's company so much. And why while on his journey to the city he was hoping to bump into Aether somewhere along the way. He considered such behaviour weird and shameful, but people can't exactly control their thoughts, can they now?

The whole journey was filled with walking and silence.

He prefers silence and peace. He'd rather be alone than spend time with other people, having to carry a conversation or respond, but he wouldn't mind if Aether was the one beside him. For some reason.

He'd never think he'd get so attached to a man who suddenly appeared, complimented his art, helped him carry a few boxes home, and most importantly was named after one of the gods. Isn't it blasphemous?

Because he knows the man isn't a god for a fact.

Gods are vile creatures, who hate humans and treat them like nothing. They're full of deceit and jealousy. They're selfish and worse than Narcissus himself. They think they own everything and humans owe them worship. For all they care the whole planet could burn as long as nothing bad happens to Olimp. They think they're better because they have ambrosium. They have no moral compass and think they can do anything. They have no remorse. They're like children and mortal beings are like toys to them. Gods repulse Albedo.

And Aether is none of that. He offered to help Albedo carry the boxes. He was curious and didn't act as if he knew everything. He praised his art, expressed his admiration for him— he's not selfish, he doesn't deem Albedo stupid or worthless; untalented. He accepted his offer to stay the night and didn't say he's strong enough to fight off all those hostile animals. He let Albedo be led through the darkness and didn't complain about how he can do it on his own.

He's nothing like gods.

And yet, his parents dared name him after some god. A shame.

"Mister Albedo!" a feminine voice reaches Albedo's ears, and he immediately connects the voice to a certain girl, who happens to be his student.

Albedo doesn't like the idea of having students. Comes with the profession - as people tend to say. Every philosopher has to have students, but it's not like he's a philosopher by choice. His mother has simply shown him more of this world, so he has different opinions and knows more. He wouldn't take it upon himself to make people believe in what he believes because it might be better for them to believe that their gods are everything.