Chapter 17 Reunion

Chapter 17 Reunion

Harlow's POV

I didn't leave Emi or Karim's side as Karim's wounds were being treated. My heart hadn't calmed down after witnessing the fight between the wolves. The wolf who chased them was far bigger than any wolf I had seen before. If the pack had to fight more wolves that size then we're in a whole load of trouble.

"Right." Eben said as he zipped up his bag. "You should be able to turn back now." I shifted my eyes away for the moment, knowing what that meant. I was red in the face any time someone turned back in my presence. This was somehow more painful to do, It took a lot of strength to keep my eyes in front of me. "Here." I heard some shuffling and soon a hand was placed on mine.

"You can look now." Emi nudged me slightly. I turned to look at her, she had a smirk on her face, she sent me a teasing wink. I sent a slight glare before my eyes turned to Karim. He was looking away. I stepped closer to him and he looked further away.

"Karim." He tensed up slightly, his hand gripped mine tighter. "Please look at me." He turned and the sight made my heart break. From the middle of his forehead, down to the left side of his nose, laid three very new, very deep cuts. They were going to scar for certain. Emi's words had been right earlier, you could still see the remains of the acanite on his face. They had been healing but were interrupted by the harsh slashes. "How didn't I-?"

"We didn't put the light on." He interrupted. "I had them back when I was dragged into that room. They'd mostly healed so they weren't easy to see." He shook his head and gestured up to his face with his free hand. "Unlike these." I gave a small huff and tried to be optimistic.

"Well, it's not so bad. Makes you look edgier, so you can put less effort into that." He shook his head at me. "You can stop practising in the mirror every morning. " Emi laughed beside me.

"He actually does do that." With his free hand he pushed her slightly. "He's right though, it looks edgy. Memories of the battle you fought today." Karim shook his head again before he looked to Eben.

"So what's happening with him?" He nodded towards the house. I just noticed that Karim was shirtless, I had to look away again as pink tinged my cheeks. I had to stop the thoughts before they flooded my mind. I also wanted to know what was going to happen to the wolf, I didn't really feel comfortable at the moment.

"Probably an interrogation. If not then I'll let my son decide what to do." Eben smiled proudly. I was beginning to understand more of the pride that Eben felt for his son, he was starting to become the alpha of the pack, making decisions off his own back. "I am not too certain if you should go down and check though." Emi frantically shook her head.

"It's alright, we're good, we don't have to go and see him." She hugged and shrank into herself slightly at the thought of going and seeing the man. "Seen enough of him for my lifetime." Eben nodded in understanding and stood up.

"Alright, I'll let you lot do what you like." He stretched and smiled at us. "Help yourselves to anything. Ralph should be up to talk to you soon." We nodded and watched as he went into the house.

A few seconds later I was engulfed in a hug. "How-low-can-you-go, I'm so glad you're okay." Emi hugged me tightly, the scent of the forest and flowers becoming stronger. I laughed lightly as I hugged her back, never meeting her strength.

"I'm the one that should be saying that." I replied, I was still being hugged. I doubted she'd let me go anytime soon so I just stayed there. "You're the ones who were attacked." She hugged me tighter, My head was starting to hurt a little bit and I'm sure I was starting to turn pale.

"Emi, you're gonna make him pass out." Karim chuckled lightly. Emi slowly let go of me and then I was brought into another chest. The scent of wood was strong, I could feel Karim's bare skin on my cheek and hands as I was hugging his torso. "It's good to be able to hug you."

I tried to think about whether or not we had hugged before but I couldn't focus on the thought too much. "It is." I said softly as I embraced his warmth. He was a little bit taller than me, not too much. "It's nice to know you're safe." We stayed there for a few moments before he started to let go. I resisted the urge to protest as I looked up into his deep brown eyes, they were so close to me that I could see specks of green and amber within.

"I'll leave you two lovebirds." Emi strolled into the kitchen, bringing me back to reality. She must've felt rather awkward, she didn't usually volunteer to be away from us at the packhouse.

Karim chuckled and shook his head. "We'll be in soon." He nodded towards ehr back and turned back to me. "I'm sorry." He whispered quietly. I shook my head and furrowed my eyebrows.

"For what?" I searched his eyes for answers but I found none. His eyes were full of so many emotions I couldn't quite pinpoint. He looked down towards our hands, which were still clasped together.

"Lots of things." A smile graced his lips as he let out a breath of air. "I'm sorry for leaving you in there, I'm sorry for worrying you. I'm sorry that I've found feelings for you which are more than friendship but I'm not going to do anything about it because-" I shushed him by leaning up and placing my lips on his.

He was warm, he had tensed up and stayed still, petrified, until he started to kiss me back. His hands firmly grasped my own as we shared a long kiss. It was like a weight had been removed from my shoulders. It was like the dam had finally burst and all my emotions flowed out in this single moment.

We had to part ways for breath. I looked up into his eyes again, they had changed in the past few moments. The emotions were clearer now. He smiled at me genuinely and brought me back in for another kiss, wrapping his arms around me again. We were reunited, I was confused but I knew more than I ever had. I was going to try. For Karim.