Chapter 19 A Surprise

Chapter 19 A surprise

Ralph's POV

I hesitated as I left my office, I still wasn't used to calling it that. Aiden was going to stay in there, I didn't want him to witness what was going to happen to the interrogator who was still unconscious downstairs. We hadn't the need to do anything like this all through my lifetime. This was something new for all of us. As wolves, we fought with teeth and claws, it made it a little bit difficult during these times. We weren't versed in physically fighting in our human forms, something we've recently tried to break.

"How is he?" I asked Moss, who was standing near the basement door. Moss may have been our best fighter, but Beaumont is more intimidating. If anything happened, such as the prisoner escaping, Moss would be able to handle it best. There was also Tempest but she was busy right now.

"Still out." Moss grinned lightly as he shifted from foot to foot. "Are you sure you're going to be able to handle this?" To anyone else, it would've sounded as though he was doubting me. In a way, I guess he was. He didn't know if I'd be able to handle doing these acts, I wasn't sure either. I didn't want to do this, I had to for the safety of my pack. He was far more used to the thought of doing the violent jobs. I shook my head lightly.

"It's part of my job." I took a deep breath through my nose. "I'll call you if I need you." He nodded in understanding before moving aside. I nodded in appreciation before hesitantly going down the stairs and into the basement.

The basement had a lot more in it since the last attack. There were chairs and backpacks full of things which we could grab on our way out, those were Aiden's idea. Rhodes and Beaumont were standing in front of a chair, where the interrogator sat with their hands and feet bound. I winced at the sight, it reminded me far too much of the position Lathen was in before he was killed.

"Has anything happened?" The two members of my pack shook their heads silently. Their shoulders were tense, they didn't want to do this either. "It's better than killing him, right?" I looked for some sort of comfort.

"Depends what we're going to do." Rhodes shrugged lightly. "Don't want to do too much, don't want to do too little. What's going to happen to him after this?" I sighed in frustration and shook my head.

"I don't know. We may just be prolonging something." I looked at the tall man, he was bald and beefy. He looked strong, like all he ever did was work out. That was probably the case. The three of us wouldn't stand much of a chance in a hand-to-hand fight. That was if he knew how to properly fight.

He started to groan and shift, he moved his neck to the side which gave a loud crack. "What..." He said as he tried to move his arms and legs. He looked up to see us standing in front of and staring at him. "Oh, Sheehan, it's you." His words were bitter as he spat out my name.

"It's me alright, all my life." I had only just noticed that my arms were folded, so I dropped them to my sides. "I'm sure you know how this all works by now." I gestured to the room and his situation.

He laughed dryly. "You're gonna torture me for information? Bit below you, isn't it? Not even we resort to that." The lies came from his lips like water from a fountain. I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Is that so? Must've booked the wrong accommodation, not the same experience." He narrowed his eyes and snarled at me. "Anyway, please feel free to get all the lies out of the way before we start the questions. It'll be far easier for us." He tried to lean forward but could only shift slightly due to the restraints.

"Can't you give a guy a little breathing room?" He tilted his head slightly. I just shook my head with the same serious expression. "What do you want answered? I'm not guaranteeing anything." The door to the basement door opened, I furrowed my eyebrows and looked towards Aiden, who just waved me off and sat at the top of the stairs.

"So, let's go over most of what we know." I started to pace. "You work for Travis, Travis wants revenge on our pack. You went after Karim and Emi for information. It's your job right? To beat people up to get the information Travis needs?"

He shrugged with a proud look. "I'd say I'm rather good at it, wouldn't you?" I rolled my eyes, which he probably couldn't see. "Yes, that's my job. Get people to talk, in any way which is necessary."

"Who else have you interrogated?" I moved so that I was directly in front of him. He struggled to crane his neck up to look at me.

"Lots of people." He shrugged lightly, one of my hands balled into a fist. I didn't want to punch the guy, I didn't want to hurt him but these answers were annoying.

"Who?"

He let out a breathy chuckle. "Alphas, humans, betas. You name it, I've probably interrogated them." I swiftly moved his head to the side with my right fist. "Don't need to get so violent, I'm answering the questions." His tone seemed to be a little bit mocking.

"Who did you interrogate?" He rolled his eyes at me.

"I've interrogated the packs in the south, none of them would touch the place. Yours isn't the first one on Travis' list you know? He's had higher priorities than you." It was clear he meant it as an insult, it just got me thinking about how many wolves' lives had been lost because nobody knew.

"Which packs?" He shrugged again.

"Not important, they don't exist now." I raised my hand again, but a voice interrupted me.

"How's Victoria?" Aiden started to walk down the stairs, he wasn't intimidating in the slightest but his words made the man stop moving immediately. "Heard she went on holiday, did she have a good time?" The interrogator narrowed his eyes at Aiden.

"How do you know Vicky?" Aiden seemed a bit more hesitant now. Despite the hesitance, his eyes were filled with anger.

"I had a hunch." Aiden growled lightly. I almost stepped back in surprise. "You see, she's very good at her job. General nurse right?" The interrogator nodded, confusion still on his face. "So, how long have you been working for Travis?" The question appeared out of the blue.

"Three years." The interrogator said with a tinge of panic. I didn't know what Aiden was doing, it was working.

"Perfect timing. I see, Ever done any...break ins?" Aiden's arms were crossed, I could feel his body heating up from anger. The interrogator nodded, with the same amount of confusion as the both of us. Beaumont moved closer to Aiden. Rhodes had moved away slightly, she wasn't really a violent person, she worked well for numbers and figuring things out that we miss. She's recently been into crime shows, thanks to Aiden once again.

"Quite a few, we prefer not to. Sometimes needs must." This time, it was Aiden's fist which connected to the man's face.

"I thought I recognised you." Aiden was bent over the chair, his face inches away from the interrogators. "She keeps a picture of you in her wallet, the two of you. You were at the races Four years ago together. Isn't it strange how my mother never became well again? How she had frequent doses of poison, until that one final dose. Due to a break in?" My eyes widened as Aiden's words were slow and full of venom. The interrogator shrinked back, he didn't say anything.

Aiden stood up straight and then turned to me. "I think I might go and get Moss." I nodded calmly, I was still a little bit in shock. "Maybe Tempest too..." He mumbled under his breath as he exited.

Beaumont looked at Aiden's back in shock, turning towards the man who was shaking in the seat. "You're not going to be alive for much longer." He was dead serious.