Chapter 36 Surprise

Chapter 36 Surprise

Aiden's POV

It was nearing Christmas. I sat with the pups and Abilene as Ralph was talking to the other alphas. I hadn't seen much of the pack in the past two days, not since the meeting where we all decided to play to our strengths. I didn't entirely agree that we should be doing things our own way, but I kept my mouth shut because that was nothing to do with me.

"Where's Arlow?" Melina looked up from the drawing she was doing with a curious glint in her eyes. I bit my lip and looked around, shaking my head slightly as I looked down to her.

"I don't know, he's probably with Karim." I sighed lightly, the three of them hadn't really separated since we got here. Emi did separate from the two a few times, I saw her conversing with Hollis, Rhodes and Abilene but other than that, I had seen her waiting by the door.

"They sure spend lots of time together," Channon grinned, it was soon mirrored by Channing. "You'd think that they were up to something." I shook my head at the two of them.

"That's not for you two to know, I'm sure." The door opened slightly, revealing Carme. I shuffled backwards slightly so that she could sit next to Melina. I hadn't seen much of Carme's pack around here. I was informed that they lived deep in the forest and hardly had any communication with humans. They lived peacefully, up until Travis started to tear down the forest they were in.

"Good morning," Carme said to Melina cheerfully, who just waved and smiled in response. That was probably one fo the reasons they got on so well, they didn't need to talk much. Carme then turned to me, fidgeting slightly. "I think someone's looking for you, around the west wing." I nodded in thanks and stood up, waving a farewell to the others.

As I was walking the halls, I had plenty of time to think. We were staying far from home, something I didn't enjoy at the moment. Mam was nearly fully recovered, just for Christmas. That part of my life felt like a miracle. Yet, when I think about what caused the illness, I'm reminded that the nightmare could've been avoided. I didn't know what we were doing, I doubted anyone did.

I ended up passing Karim and Harlow in the hallways, I informed them that they were missed by the pups and they should head over there. They nodded a little but went in that direction anyway. The hallways were practically empty, The white halls reminding me still of hospitals. Some rooms were louder than others, I was nowhere near the bedrooms, which was often the loudest places,

I turned into a hallway which was a stark difference to the rest of the institute, I had been here only a handful of times. Instead of white walls, they were wooden panels. The carpet was a pattern of autumnal colours and the lights were more yellow. I didn't know which door to enter so I just sat with my legs outstretched and my arms folded. I rested my head against the wall and closed my eyes.

A slight chuckle came from my right after a few moments. I opened my right eye and looked up to see Beaumont crouching down beside me. "Having fun here?" he asked with a grin.

"Bundles," I replied and stood up. "Someone wanted me?" He nodded his head and gestured for me to follow him. I followed with my hands in my pockets and my eyes wandering the hallway. We soon entered a door which I couldn't read the name of. That was another thing about this packhouse, each room had a label; you'd think that if they lived there, there wouldn't be any need for labels.

The doorframe was an arch shape, unlike any other doorway in the packhouse. I entered cautiously, seeing the majority of the pack standing in front of another grand fireplace. The walls were cream and green, the wood flooring a dark grainy colour. I looked behind me to see that Beaumont had moved to join the rest of his pack.

"This isn't ominous at all," I tried to joke but my voice cracked a little bit. A few smiles were shared , Hollis had a grin running from ear to ear and Elowen shifted from one foot to the other. The door on the other side of the room opened, Abilene and the kids rushing in. "Even more ominous."

"Aiden," Ralph smiled as he spoke. He then gestured for me to come over to him. The light of the fire illuminated the forms of Karim, Emi and Harlow, who were sitting on the settees in the corner of the room, facing us. "This is very much overdue."

I tilted my head to the side slightly as a shiver went down my spine. I tried not to show how intimidated I was but this was a little creepy. There was an air of suspense that was suffocating me. "This being?"

Tempest and Rhodes moved to the side a little bit, facing Beaumont and Moss. Hollis and Elowen stood next to the fire and the pups went to stand next to their parents. "You've been a member of the pack for a few months now," Randall said enthusiastically as he stood next to his father. Ralph was standing just in front of the two of them. "About time you felt like one."

I opened my mouth to speak but I was interrupted, Abilene put a hand on my shoulder and moved me forward slightly. I still had no clue what was happening. ""You're not proposing are you? It's not really the best time." I shook my head and then mumbled, "I'd probably say yes either way."

A light of joy came to Ralph's eyes as he looked down at me. "No, but thank you for the confidence when it does happen." I felt like I was in the middle of a ritual. The pack were all holding hands and the light of the fire made shadows look even darker. Ralph reached behind him and pulled out a very small pouch. "It's not much but..Aiden Forst," he paused. The use of my full name made my breath get caught in my throat. "You've been a member of this pack for months, as has just been pointed out. You are my partner and my soulmate. You have been with this pack through good times and bad times. In this season of giving and gratitude, I am honoured to call you a valued member of this pack, my other alpha." He reached into the bag and pulled out a necklace.

The necklace was on a simple leather cord which seemed brand new. The metal clasp seemed rough from the shadows that were visible. The main aspect of the necklace which made me tear up was the carved metal which hung from it. It depicted a man and a wolf, surrounded by a circle with markings on it. The markings were in roman numerals, the date that Ralph and I met eyes for the first time.

"I-" I couldn't let any words out of my mouth. Chuckles came from various parts of the room at my failed attempts. Ralph stepped forward and clasped the necklace around my neck. The metal felt cool and hot against my skin. I reached up on my tip toes and placed my lips on his, my hands reaching for his amrs. It may as well have been an engagement for me, It gave me the hope and happiness that meant I was wanted, I am a proper member of this pack now.

Claps echoed, as well as some disgusted sounds from the children. I laughed lightly as we separated. I was pulled into hug after hug, after handshake after hug. Even Karim came over and gave me his congratulations. That interaction was quick and he left the room straight after, but it made me feel more than human at that point.