thirty-six | no handler could handle me

𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝚜𝚒𝚡 | 𝚗𝚘 𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚍𝚕𝚎𝚛 𝚌𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍 𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚍𝚕𝚎 𝚖𝚎

Seeing Grayson Alderidge in a suit isn't a new sight. He looks like the businessman he was always meant to be.

When we were growing up with the organization, Grayson used to take his appearance very seriously. He hated being thought of as the child. Even though he's much older than I am, he never wanted veteran agents to think of him as an orphan.

Grayson and I hated how the organization treated us. We were children. Orphans. Nothing was going to change that, except for training hard and moving our way up the ranks. After a while, Grayson gave up on espionage. He wanted a normal life. I wanted revenge.

As we walked to Commander's steel door, the wave of revelation rushed through my body. So much has changed since the last time I was in this office.

The last time I even spoke to the Commander was when she ordered me to get a psychological evaluation done. I'd never been more pissed off than I was at that moment. She used my paranoia and my inability to let go of my mission as leverage to make me sit across from a psychologist. What a bitch!

"Keep tapping your leg like that, and I'll cut it off," Grayson muttered next to me.

Normally, I storm into the Commander's office because I have more fire lit under my ass than a wildfire in California. However, being barely able to walk is more tortuous than being stabbed in the stomach. Needing a walking stick and needing Grayson to help me stand. I feel like an utterly worthless human being.

I ignored Grayson, waiting patiently for this bitch to open the door.

"Nice shoes," he said.

I looked down to the custom-made Batman and Joker converse sneakers that I wore the first day Archer and I met. These shoes were the conversation starter that caused the chain reaction of our lives. These shoes have become special to me. I don't want to get fired all over again without having some piece of Archer with me.

I twiddled with the bracelet that Archer gave to me for my birthday. Yeah. I really wish Archer was here.

The door opened and a young woman nodded for Grayson and I to come in.

Commander sat up straight as a pencil when Grayson and I walked into the room. Her usual sense of self-awareness never waivered. She took a gentle sip of water, letting us bask in the silence for a few moments longer. I assume she's going to start screaming. Telling us how we nearly ruined the reputation of the agency, and how we'll never be secret agents again.

"Secret agent Seven of Spades," Commander sighed. "I'm glad you're healing nicely. It's concerning that the agency didn't know about your condition until your brother informed us that you were in a medically induced coma."