3: In Which She Has a Tea Party

*****************

“He’s cute,” I said slowly. “Plus he seems intelligent.”

Montgomery smiled, taking the photo from me. “Oh yes, that’s Rocky. He’s Spanish. And he has a degree in English.” She paused. “But he’s in Milan right now. Someone’s snapped him up on a long-term.”

My face fell. I didn’t want to have come to the agency today for nothing. “What about him?” I paged through Kiefer’s portfolio. There were various pictures of him in various provocative poses and he resembled a young Colin Firth. “I know him. Barb Showalter said he’s good at being the quiet strong type. I need that, especially a guy who can handle work-related functions.”

Barb, a local socialite I’d met through Rox, was the person who’d turned me onto Eden Escort Agency a year ago. I had been stranded without a date – yet again – and she’d slipped me Eleanor Montgomery’s card.

“Between you and me, Barb tried to rape him. He didn’t press charges – how humiliating would that be? – but he’s gone back to accounting. Sorry.” Monty’s face was heavy with concern. Clearly, she was thinking about why I was unhappy with one of ‘her men’. “Is there a problem with Ash?”

There. She’d said it.

“He’s just...he’s not my type.” Isn’t that diplomatic of me?

What I really felt like saying was that he was a complete and utter arsehole. But that would make Monty mad, and I didn’t want to make this kind older woman mad. She considered all the escorts her multiracial sons.

She leaned across her desk, her mildly Botoxed face grim. “Amor dear, he fit all your requirements. Educated – highly educated – tall, intelligent, interesting, goal-oriented... He might as well be Victor.”

Yeah, right. “How is Victor, by the way?” And can I please have him back?

Monty huffed out a breath. “He’ll be off both his legs for quite a while, I’m afraid. And, apparently, he’s found Jesus. Says he was nothing short of a prostitute. Vic, I mean. I don’t want to blaspheme here.”

I felt the last shred of hope inside me wither away and die. “Of course. So...about another replacement...?”

“Ashton’s the best, darling. And besides, all my men are involved with other women. The escort business has become extremely hectic.” She broke into a smile. “All my men are busy for at least six months. You’re lucky to have Ashy, just so you know. He’s quite a hit and he isn’t even a gigolo.”

I winced at the term. There was a massive difference between men who were paid to go to parties and men who were paid to sleep with women. Ashton was, apparently, the former. It didn’t matter to me. I just couldn’t be stuck with a man like him. Inked, derisive and dripping so much sex appeal it was unnerving...