7: In Which She Meets Momma Bear

************

“As your friend and producer, I’d like you to listen to me for five seconds.” Rox followed me into the bathroom, running a hand through her perfect mane of hair. “Amor? What’s come over you?”

“Forgive me for not wanting to attend yet another idiotic fancy dinner party, Roxy,” I told her, applying a quick coat of black nail polish on my left hand. “And forgive me for trying to enjoy my life.” I quickly blew on my fingernails, trying to get them to dry as quickly as possible.

“But…you love those dinner parties. What are you talking about?”

I looked up at her for the first time that morning. “I prefer being an agony aunt. I want to quit the Ask Amor Show.”

Rox’s eyebrows were now buried somewhere along her hairline. “What?

I shrugged, pushing past her and returning to my bedroom. “I hate the sound of my voice over the radio. And everyone’s so ungrateful. Besides, I’m just…bored of it.” Spinning around, I flopped back down onto my unmade bed. “Who knew I could write, Rox? Me, Amor Page. Granted, it’s just a couple of responses to e-mails but I sound so…eloquent.”

Rox folded her arms across her chest, standing over me. “Who are you and what have you done with Amor Page?”

I rolled my eyes and sat up. “Very funny. Listen, I’ve been thinking about that book –”

“And you want to write it?” Roxanne cut in, her eyes bright with excitement. “Shall I call Lesner? Set up a meeting? Talk to agents?”

Laughing, I shakily got to my feet. “Would you let me finish, please?” I took a deep breath, placing my hands on her shoulders. “I want to write a book. About sex. Sex in all kinds of places. Sex in all kinds of positions. I’ll call it…the Amor Sutra.”

Her eyes were wide. “Pull my other leg, too. I don’t want a limp.”

“I’m not joking here. OK, well, maybe about the title.”

She pulled away from me. “You’re not a qualified sex therapist, number one. Number two, that requires creativity and -”

“I’m not creative enough.” My voice was steely, even to my own ears. “Firstly, I won’t be advising anyone. I’ll just be… sharing some friendly suggestions.”

“Friendly suggestions? What, your sex life with that…that tattooed giant?”

I threw her a dirty look. “That’s none of your business.”

“I’m going to leave before I say something I’ll regret.” Roxanne pushed past me, head held high. I heard the sound of my front door slamming shut ten seconds later.

Sighing heavily, I shrugged out of my bathrobe and getting dressed. I had a lot to do today.

***

“Victor?”

I tapped his back, startling him in the non-perishables aisle of Morgan’s.

“Er, Amor?” He choked on saliva, hacking like a cat with a fur ball lodged in its throat. “How…how can I help you?”