It's A Wonderful Night

CHAPTER 1.11
It's A Wonderful Night.

"You're making me walk with a 101° fever?!"
   〉〉〉〉

TODAY WAS A TERRIBLE DAY. Beckett's head was pounding, her nose was stuffy, and her throat burned from coughing. She was sick.

She had denied it for the past two days, telling her mother the thermometer was broken, or ignoring the looks she got when blowing her nose in class. But today was the last straw. It wasn't even the sickness that mad her so upset, it was Jason.

He had been acting funny all week, and it wasn't the sniffling in his ear when she was close. No, it was the usual teenage boy scheme. He was going on a double date with Eric and had neglected to tell her!

She didn't know why she was so annoyed at this prospect. After all, he didn't like her. The magazine said so. They never were an item and never would be, clearly.

But when he finally cracked the morning before this, Beckett felt something twist in her stomach.

"Eric and I have a double date with Tracy and Erin on Friday."

Of course Eric was going along too! He had a new date every week and it was starting to get really annoying. This time he had to drag Jason into it.

What was she? Chopped liver?

Not that she cared what either of those boys did in their free time. Besides, she was currently stationed in her bed for the time being.

She had stayed home for the day, slightly relieved she didn't have to look at Jason while he got all gushy about his little date. It was pathetic!

There was a knock on the door.

"Beck?" Shawn called through the door.

She rolled her eyes, "You can open the door."

"No way! I'm not getting contaminated." He shot back. "I'm just letting you know I left a bowl of soup and a piece of bread outside the door. I'm leaving, bye!"

His footsteps retreated but Beckett shouted, "Wait!"

"Yes?"

"Where are you going?" She croaked out through her cough.

"To Cory's to watch a movie, remember? Cant believe I'm stuck with Judy."

"Well excuse me for cancelling. I'm not exactly in the best shape." Beckett pulled her old blue robe tighter around her body, chills racking her body.

They said their goodbyes and soon after, Beckett was home alone. Of course her parents were out, maybe at work, maybe at a bar, who knew. Beckett was just thankful Shawn at least cared about her well-being.

She slowly stood up, feeling unstable and dizzy from laying in her bed all day. She opened her door and sure enough there was a steaming bowl of chicken noodle soup, a piece of toast, and a glass of water waiting for her.

She enjoyed the meal, sat on the couch, watched old sitcom reruns, and waited in anguish. She didn't even know what she was waiting for. Maybe a magical fairy to make her feel better, or put her out of her misery.

Her mind wandered to Eric. His birthday had been a few days prior and today was the day he would be taking his drivers test right. Yes, right before the double date. Absolutely nothing could go wrong, right?

She wondered if he passed. She also wondered if his birthday was the curse that made her sick.

Probably. Sounded like something Eric would cause.