don't you know that we bleed the same?

Living alongside demons was surprisingly easy, with one pair already getting along and the other essentially just staying out of each others way it became a simple way of living. Ashton and Calum settled into an odd routine, odd but it worked, and Ashton found himself starting to enjoy the quiet company of the other boy.

They rarely engaged in conversation much deeper than casual good morning's and hello's but Calum always made a point to join him down by the stream which had become a sanctuary of sorts for the angel who was steadily improving his strength and healing now that past traumas had been confronted and to an extent forgiven. Each day that Calum joined Ashton he would edge closer and closer to the other, testing the waters, and to his surprise Ashton only cast him a gentle look before turning back to the greenery with a small smile. Both Michael and Luke grew closer over these weeks and after their eye opening conversation the bond between them solidified and whilst Luke had few reservations due to his ties with Calum, the improvement in Ashton and his behaviour regarding said demon, Luke slowly began to brush these doubts away.

Ashton was perched atop one of the lonely tree stumps round the back of the yard when Michael found him, he went to reach out to Ashton and as he did so the other flinched away at the sound of his loud steps and close proximity, it wasn't anything new but it was something that still managed to upset the others.

"Sorry..." Michael mumbled regretfully as he backed away with his hands held up so that they were visible, Ashton nodded mutely

"You wanna join?" He asked quietly, shuffling to the side of the stump so Michael could join, the demon took him up on the offer. "What did you need?"

"I didn't need anything," Michael said as he pulled one leg up to rest on the edge of the stump "just wanted to make sure you were alright I s'pose." He avoided eye contact as if the display of concern was something to be ashamed of. Ashton looked taken aback by the confession and just stared at the other boy with a dumbfounded expression "what?" Michael shifted uncomfortably under the calculating gaze. Ashton stared a moment longer before shaking his head

"Nothin' sorry, I just didn't expect that from you." he let out a breathy laugh "I think I'm okay, better than I was thanks to you." Michael's head jolted to look at the angel who laughed louder this time "I know you're the one mixing all those serums up, and you're the one who applies them half the time. I also know you insist that Calum is the one who does it, you never take credit." The demon's mouth dropped and his stunned expression didn't falter even when Ashton looked away "I may be delirious from the pain half the time but I'm not stupid, so thank you."

"Yeah..." he whispered, the initial shock draining away

"You also always find a way to avoid me, you only change the bandages when I'm asleep - kinda odd but I assumed there must be a reason." Michael sighed as he began to twist the rings around his fingers and trace the lines of his tattoo.

"I guess you just kinda reminded me of some stuff, plus I know how sacred your guys' wings are and that it could be embarrassing for anyone - let alone a demon, to look at them so I figured we could avoid it if you were, you know, asleep." Now it was Ashton's turn to look shocked, tears threatened to fall at the admission, it was something so simple yet more meaningful than most gestures

"Thank you, I'm sorry you had to see them at all really, but still I appreciate it." Ashton reached out gingerly and squeezed the others shoulder with a smile, but it soon faltered as he ran back over the spoken words "Whatever I reminded you of, I'm sorry." Michael matched his gaze and shook his head, his hair falling further into his eyes so much so that his nimble fingers had to sweep it from his vision

"Not your fault, I've just been where you were... with Alistair, he's a nasty piece of work." It was obvious to Ashton that this was as much information as he was getting from him at this point in time so he let it be, and what he did next was startling even to himself. He shifted himself so he could wrap his arms around Michael and bring him in for a pleasant and sweet-tempered hug, the demon tensed at first but quickly melted into Ashtons secure hold, his head turning so it could rest on his broad shoulder.