Chapter Three

As she walked down the stairs, the scratching noises intensified, as did her feelings of horror and dread. A thing too hideous for reality, a being sprung from the flaming pits of hell, a monster that lurks in the innermost core of the soul, His hair hung in slimy black coils to his filthy shoulders, his bony and gruesome features were partially concealed by a leprous, oozing growth. His eyes were dark, glittering pits of madness and horror, his hands jagged claws that dripped fresh blood. Her mum wasn't prepared for this, but one thing was certain, she would not surrender to this predatory slime. Her heart blasted with fear as she glared at the demon with anger. She abruptly began to cast a mastery spell used only on demonic creatures that involves strong magic. While she incanted, the awaiting demon was already itching for a fight but as the room erupted into a cloud of invoked wind that shattered the windows into pieces so did the demon seized to breath. He tried to fight the invoked deadly choke that drained him of his powers but screaming and kneeling was the demon as the pain was vehemently exhilarating.

Aerwyna could only hope the spell does not take her mother's life because she could feel the amount of magic used by her mother. This was her first incident with a demon and also her first time any had dared come so close to their home, let alone actually infiltrate it. Too weak to have continued, the witch collapsed and the demon pressed her necked and punched her with demonic strength trickling her to the floor, her dark hair in disarray. Her daughter looked terrified and wailed seeing her mum like that. Aerwyna ran forward and thrust her hands out gripping the demon's bare neck. She applied full apparent pressure of strength but the demon just staggered to his feet and went mute like puppets with their strings cut.

After the safety of her child, she said "Ryna!, go find some help" those were the last few words Aerwyna heard before every sound faded into nothingness while she spun around at the sound of her mother's voice, only to find the entrance of the vast leafy forest In front of her. Aerwyna was suddenly teleported into the forest. She was running more and more into the forest, crying and wailing for Eldric to help. The deeper she went into the forest, the more fragrant it became; it was there she stumbled upon some of Mother Nature's most prized possessions. There was no sound or sight of him except the twigs crunching under her feet. She screamed his name as loudly as she could and Eldric appeared with a concern towards her. He tried to calm her down by holding and asked

"Hey, what's going on? Why are you crying?" She stammered and started crying again "m...m...my m...mother, a demon is attacking her. Please help her or she will die." He was having second thoughts about helping her mother as elves and demons ware bitter enemies "I don't know about that..." Aerwyna pleads "I know you are skeptical about her but please help. She is all I have". And that was true, Eldric had always been doubtful about Agnes as there was something he couldn't pin point. Eldric said "ok ok alright, calm down. Let's go" and faster than ever, moved through Eldric's magical roots.

When they got to the cottage, it was in ruins. It seemed like everything was falling into pieces which scared Aerwyna even more. She ran into the kitchen and there stood her mother completely unharmed while the demon stood next to her. She was confused how her mother was completely perfect when a few moments ago; she was unable to fight the demon. Moreover, how is the demon that calm and not attacking?

"Mother, are you ok? What happened when I was gone?" Aerwyna asked utterly confused. "And why is that creature standing next to you? Agnes made a combined expression of grim and anger and showed her daughter some flowers.

"Mother, why are you showing me these flowers? What is going on?" Agnes replied angrily "dear, these are elf flowers. Demons can smell the flowers and find elves. And it was in our house, so this demon thought i was an elf disguising as a witch. It was planted to kill us" Aerwyna asked incredulously "This is crazy mom, why would anyone one want to harm us?"