Chapter 1: The Guazeria

~~Six years later~~

   "Too bright...," Fia mumbled as she squinted at the sun.

  She had almost forgot how sunlight felt like. She had not left her void for months this time. She was not still sure if she should even leave yet. But shortly after she stepped outside, a fairy spotted her and shouted excitedly "It's Miss Fia!", and it was too late to turn back then.

  "Miss Fia?!" exclaimed all the other fairies with joy.

  Fia mustered up the most cheerful expression she could manage and waved at them. "Good morning, everyone."

  "Good morning!" they replied unanimously, their high voices ringing pleasantly to the ear.

  The fairies all gathered around her excitedly, asking her how she was, telling her how happy they were to see her after so long. Then their conversation was cut short.

  "Oh, it's been so long my dear." Fia looked past the fairies and found Ramona, the eldest mage in Zemeria. The fairies excused themselves and left the two to talk.

  Despite being the eldest, she did not look much old. She was tall and lean without a single wrinkle in sight, and her green hair was as long and silky as ever. Age did not really show on mages, especially ones with strong magic.

  "Hi aunt Ramona."

  "You had us a little worried there, dear. How long has it been? Three months? You have been spending more and more time there. Just look at you, you're as pale as a ghost now," she said, clearly looking concerned. "You shouldn't spend so much time at that place; you need to come out in the sun every once in a while."

  "Sorry I worried you," she smiled awkwardly. "But there hasn't been anything requiring my attention lately, so I didn't see the harm in spending some time there. And it's not like I was alone, Demral stays with me often."

  Ramona sighed in resignation. Demral, one of the last kitsunes left in the world, and the only creature Fia did not push away after the incident. "Yes, I know dear, but the rest of us also miss you. Remember, you don't only have Demral, everyone here in Zemeria cares about you too."

  "Yes, of course, I know." She smiled again. A smile so obviously forced.

  Ramona hummed, looking at her with eyes full of sympathy and sorrow. She looked at her once bright shining hair and skin that now lost all color. She looked at her eyes, once bright fierce, full of fire, now lifeless and empty.

  And her smile, her dazzling cheerful smile that had the power to brighten up the whole world, was now no more. She lost it.

  And it hurt Ramona, deeply. Now she had to force her face to form a smile, and Ramona could see that it strained her to do it. Yet she always tried her best to 'smile' when the creatures greeted her. Ramona's eyes started tearing up. Such a kind girl, she thought. She looked at the mark of the violet flower on her face, the mark that spread its roots throughout her body, the mark that was the reason for her suffering. And she thought something she knew she should not think.

  It shouldn't have happened to her...

  Ramona lowered her head so Fia would not see her tears "I'm sorry, Fia. I really am," she said softly.

  Fia sighed. "It wasn't your fault. You have nothing to apologize for."

  "Nor was it yours."

  Fia's smile finally disappeared, and she looked away.

  "It wasn't your fault, Fia, please stop blaming yourself," she begged. "They wouldn't-"

  "I have to go now," she said coldly. She turned her back to Ramona and left.