Chapter 5: The awakening

He tried talking to Demral after that, but that was easier said than done, for Demral rarely ever left Fia's side.

  Fia was usually somewhere around, watching him. Sometimes he would even see her sitting on top of a cloud or floating island looking down at the village. He assumed that she was watching him because she did not fully trust him, but he would always wave at her brightly and greet her whenever he saw her. After a month, however, she started appearing less. When he asked the others about it, they said that she often disappears to a void place she created. "I think this is actually the longest I have seen her out," one of the mages said.

  "But why?" asked Liam, a bit concerned.

  "We don't really know, Fia doesn't share much with us about stuff like that."

  "And what if someone needs her?"

  "Well, then she always comes right away. But we do try not to trouble her too much. She's already keeping us protected and safe. It's such a huge burden for such small shoulders still."

  "Mhmm," he hummed agreeingly. The more he heard, the more he wanted to know just what exactly happened to her.

  A few days later, luckily, he finally had a chance to know. He spotted Demral taking a nap, alone.

   "Hi there Demral!" he greeted cheerfully.

   Demral opened his eyes, yawned, and closed them again. "What do you want?" he groaned.

   "Sorry to interrupt your nap, but... it's important." He sat down in front of him.

  "Hm?" He opened one eye.

  "I... Can you please tell me about Fia?"

  His eyes opened wide, not a sing hint of sleep remaining. "Hmmm." He examined Liam, his tails wagging skeptically. He already made his decision, but still asked for safe measures, "Why?"

  "She is... a nice person even if she tries to act otherwise with me. She's really kind, but... she always looks in pain. And I hate that," he said, his expression full of sadness and sorrow. "I... want to help her, if possible, in any way that I can," he said, almost desperately.

  Liam recognized the look in her eyes, the pain and agony behind it. He hated to see it on anyone else, and he hated it all the more on the person who saved him, who gave him a chance, who helped him when she did not have to, when no one else would. "I want to repay even a fraction of what she's given me. Please."

  Demral sighed. "Alright. I'm not sure if you can do anything, but..." he considered for a bit then nodded, "I think you might be her best chance."

  Relief washed over Liam. "Thank you."

  He took a deep breath, and stood up. "Come with me. There is something I have to show you first."

  Liam followed quietly as Demral lead him deep into the forest. When they reached their destination, Liam froze, eyes opened wide.

  "What happened here?" he breathed as he took in the sight around him.

 While all of Zemeria was filled with colors, this place was... mute.

  Dead.

  The flowers, the grass, the trees, the plants, all dead. And in the middle was a big hole in the ground that suggested there being a lake there once.

  "Fia," Demral answered plainly.

  Liam gave him a perplexed look, eyes filled with questions.

  "This was her and her parents' favorite place. They would always come here. Since before even I came." He stood there reminiscing for a moment. He took a deep breath and began, "It started nine years ago, on Fia's fifth birthday-"