The Little Merman (Part 3)

Will's pov:

      "It's beautiful," I whispered.

       I was gazing at the main room where the party was. A large crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling, dazzling like the stars. No, like Y/N's eyes. Most of the guests were conversing with their peers as the younger guests chased each other around the room.

       "Yeah, I guess so." Y/N took a sip from their drink.

       An uncomfortable silence followed. How is this supposed to work? I only have today and tomorrow to admit my feelings to Y/N. But they seem to have feelings for their other friend. Who is he anyway?

      "H-hey, do you want to go outside?" Please say yes, I think.

       Y/N hesitated for a few minutes. I felt a surge of panic. What if they didn't want to come? What if they didn't love me? Were they thinking of their other friend?

       "Sure," they finally said.

      I breathed a sigh of relief. We walked towards one of the doors. We were about to go outside when someone said, "Y/N?"

      I spun around to find Stanford Gleeful. (dun dun DUN!) Fear clenched me. This was the man that trapped me in a life of captivity. What did he want with Y/N?

      "Hey, Grunkle Ford-" Y/N was saying.

      "I told you that you only call me Grunkle Stanford," he interrupted firmly. He then glanced at me. "Y/N, who is this young man?"

       Something in those cold blue eyes made my fear worse. My heart pounded loudly, surprised that no one heard it. My hands became clammy, and the room seemed to get smaller.

        "William, William, are you okay?" Y/N asked worriedly. Concern was apparent in their face.

        "I...need some air," I muttered. I pushed Y/N to the side and ran out the door.

        I didn't pay much attention to the scenery as I looked for a place to hide. 

          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Y/N's pov:

      "William, wait!" I cried.

      I was about to run after him when Grunkle Ford blocked me with his arm.

      "Let me go! I need to see if he's alright!" I tried to remove his arm from me.

      "Y/N, stop," Grunkle Ford said in his "don't mess with me" tone.

      "You can't make me!" I shoved his arm aside and ran out into McGucket's garden.

      "Y/N! Get back here at once!"

       I ignored him. This time I wasn't going to do what he wanted of me. I just hope William was okay.

      I don't want to lose another friend, I think sadly. First Will, now William.

       When I found Will missing last night, I couldn't sleep because I was crying. He was the only person that didn't care about my status. And...the only person I was in love with. 

      I would always feel a pang of guilt whenever I would hang out with William. Will was gone, and I was spending time with another boy. But strangely, William seems familiar. I can't put my finger on it.

      My heart couldn't take it any longer. I leaned against a nearby fountain and sobbed. If only Will was here....

      "A-are you okay?" a soft voice asked.

      I looked up from my hands to find William standing beside me. His blue eyes gazed into mine. My heart skipped a beat, the traitor.

      "Yeah..." I lied. I wiped whatever was left of the tears on my face.

      "Are you mad at me?"

      I shook my head. "No...I just really miss him."

      "Who?" William asked.

      "Someone I was really close with." A moment of silence passed. "You know what, you probably don't want to hear about him."

      I got up to leave. William followed, and gently grabbed my wrist. He pulled me into a hug. My heart beat loudly. What was he doing?

      "I'm sorry about your friend," William whispered.

      I glanced up into his blue-eyed gaze. For a moment, I was at a loss for words. "...Thank you," I whispered back.

      Footsteps thundered nearby. William and I hurriedly parted from each other, our faces a bright pink. I wished I could still be in William's arms. What about Will? My brain reminded me.

      "Y/N!" Grunkle Ford exclaimed. "Are you okay?"

      "I'm fine-"

      "Good." He turned to William. "Young man, I don't know what was happening back there. Based on your performance, I don't think you're suitable to be anywhere near Y/N."

      "Wait, Mr. Gleeful!" William's face was full of panic. "I'm sorry-"

      "Sorry won't cut it." Grunkle Ford grabbed my wrist. "We're leaving, Y/N."

      "But-"

      "No buts, Y/N." He started walking me away.

      I glanced back towards William. He glanced back, his blue eyes full of longing. I want to be back in his arms, to feel his calming presence. But I really miss Will.

      I faced forward, and walked away from William.