Chapter - 1 - The Regression

Slowly, I opened my eyes to see a very familiar ceiling, painted in white. I brought my right hand to my face, letting out a relieved sigh and mumbled out a "Thank you lord", feeling really grateful my magic finally worked.

'Thank goodness. Now I can finally set things right... I mustn't fail everyone this time. This time for sure I must...!'

Knock knock

"Co-", I immediately cut myself off. Why is my throat so raspy? But even without my permission, my guest let herself in. A blue-head made her way to me, conjuring up a glass of water as she took out something from her pocket.

"What is it Charlotte?", I asked after drinking the water she graciously handed me.

Charlotte was a quiet and timid kid, so it always took her awhile to speak up when asked to.

"... I wanted to check up on you... I was really worried when I heard you fainted yesterday. I... even though it might not be your first time handling a case, this is the first time you've handled one without adult supervision! Y-you should really be careful next time, sister Lippe!", she huffed out, cheeks flushing a bit as it is her first time yelling at someone.

'...I get that she is worried but, what in the world is she talking about? I can't even ask since she looks like she is about to cry...'

But as usual, our perspective Charlotte, or Charley as I call her, spotted that something was wrong with the young, about-to-be-an-officialized magician who, unbeknownst to Charley, just turned back time after multiple failures.

"...Is there something wrong?", Charlotte sniffed a bit, probably holding back tears. Her beautiful ocean-blue eyes were narrowed at me in suspicion. 'Shall I just spit it out? Ok. Let's spit out a half-truth story.'

Deciding on that, I mustered up some courage and spoke, "I don't remember!"

Silence loomed over the room, making the time-traveling magician regret her choice of words. As she should! 'What sort of an idiot spouts out that totally idiotic phrase that is bound to bring more suspicion!?' It was bound to bring suspicion because dear Calliope, along with a few others, is gifted with a brilliant memory, capable of remembering anything and everything she gives attention to. And the few times she feigns to not remember is when a major catastrophe happens. Mostly because the young girl was afraid of getting caught for a mistake she had done and intended to fix it on her own, even though she clearly wasn't capable of doing that without help.

"Char-!", before I could finish my sentence, Charley spoke up, "I can understand. Zen said you wouldn't remember anything after what happened. That's why he said I should give this to you."

Saying so, she handed me a piece of paper with a magic circle drawn in it. It was a memory circle. It could hold a memory and store it until the paper is torn, and when it is torn, the memory is transferred to the person who tore the paper.

"Oh okay! Thanks Charley. Is there anything I should brace myself for?", I asked. I wasn't particularly worried about anything. After all, I am... I glanced at the calendar. 21 June 1134. So currently I am 15 years old, well about to be one in 2 months anyway. Fifteen is when an apprentice magician is given the title of an official magician. And what could've happened at this tender age? Nothing serious, of course. I probably fainted due to excessive use of mana and stuff like that.

I looked at Charlotte. Charlotte Brooke is a young girl with bright blue hair that reaches her shoulders and deep blue eyes. She has the power to converse with water nymphs and control the water element. On seeing me staring at her, she tilted her head, waiting for me to speak.