Chapter - 3 - Do you, or do you not know?

"So you want to see the pocket-watch", Zen asked after a couple of minutes. 'As expected he really does know everything [save for a few].' I nodded. "But I also want to discuss something with you. It is regarding my... "power".", I said, expecting him to know what I am talking about. But strangely enough, he seems to have no clue about it.

Tilting his head a bit to the right, he took a tiny crystal-mirror box from the book case and opened it. Crystal-mirror boxes are mostly used by ladies. The outside of the box is made by fine crystals and the inside of the lid has a mirror in it. It is a typical, easy-to-carry make-up box. Some ladies keep their hair pins and ribbons in it. 'I, too, keep emergency hair-pins, safety pins and ribbons in it...' Every lady in the tower owns it. Actually it is precise to say that we are gifted one by a close female friend. I got mine from Zaire and Penelope. 'And I plan on giving one to Charley for her birthday too... I made sure to tell everyone what I plan on giving her, so they don't give out the same gift as mine'

'But why does Zen has it?' He took out a red ribbon from it and smiled sheepishly at me. 'I think he knows what I am thinking'. I returned the smile and teased him a bit, looking at the red ribbon with a mischievous grin. "Now, now. Don't look at me like that. It was gifted to me. And the person who gifted this to me is quite – well – interesting.", he blushed a bit. 'Aha..'

There was a lady Zen was interested in. That was when Zen was forced to transform into a girl during his younger days. When he was my age, as his first case as an official magician, Master Sairen, the previous Tower Master, made Zen go out in disguise and spy on Count Robin, Penelope's father. Being the master of illusion, Master Sairen Emlyn, the 24th Tower Master, disguised Zen as a girl and made him go to the Count's home as a maid. Zen was opposed to this at first, wanting to go as a stable-keeper or even as a servant, just not as a maid.

10 Years Ago:

"No way! Nuh-uh! I won't do it", yelled the 15 year old boy. Master Sairen chuckled at this. Of course the boy would reject the idea.

"Now, Zen. It is only for a while. If you find it quick, you can come back quick.", Master Sairen laughed a bit. He expected such a response from this boy, who he treated as his own son.

"I can just go there as a stable keeper, or even as a male servant! Why as a maid, a maid, of all things!?", Zen yelled, repulsed by the idea of wearing a skirt and lace stockings.

"That's because, currently he is in need of a maid, a female servant, who would attend to his wife without any problem. As for why I am not sending an actual girl,", Master Sairen smiled a cheshire smile, "You are the best in the biz!". At this Zen groaned. Of course his master will make him suffer. Master Sairen patted Zen's back and smiled lovingly at him.

Zen hated his master back then. Why did he have to go as a girl. It isn't that he thinks less of a girl, but it's just that, if word gets out he cross-dressed as a girl, he would surely be teased. And he didn't want that. But there was nothing he could do about it. He packed his things and went to his Master's office in the 223rd floor. He knocked on the door that had a 6-cornered star carved in it. The door opened and his Master welcomed him warmly. He conjured a cup of jasmine tea with 2 sugar cubes and set it on the table.

"So, are you ready Zen? I already prepared the necessary paperwork and all you have to do is act like a mute child.", he said. Zen stopped sipping his tea and spoke, "Wait, I'm mute?"

"Yes, though I could just change your voice, I'm pretty sure you don't want your voice to sound like a girl even for a second right?", his master was surely teasing him. Zen grumbled, but he didn't refuse. At least he wouldn't sound like a high-pitched cricket.