Chapter 39.1 - Aster

Maera

Maera. I've never known much about her other than that she was quiet, shy, and quick to jump to tasks. I always thought it was loyalty and deference, perhaps a little more timidity than is normal, but until I cast on Mother, I certainly never thought her capable of subterfuge.

Even now, rushing to keep her from being alone with Sela, hurrying to argue with Reyan about who should watch over our sister, I can't help but doubt myself. This isn't a girl capable of lying to us, much less of regicide. My own investigators dismissed the case. The maid Leavi saw in the hall, conspiring, was red-headed, not dark-haired like Maera. But no matter the evidence, I can't ignore the nagging suspicion, like a skeleton tapping at the back of my mind. Mother is dead, and someone is responsible.

Whether or not it's this girl, it's not worth the risk to preserve her employment to Sela. Someone else can take the job.

I head to the main strategy room. It's on this floor already, and even if Reyan's not in there, the likelihood is that someone who knows his location is. I feel like we're all playing guessing games these days, trying to track one another down. I'm just glad I had to retrieve a book from my room earlier, or else Leavi might not have been able to find me.

Unlike the Mage Room, no one stands to verify the identity of the people entering the strategy room. Normally a soldier would stand guard, but that man has no doubt been relocated to the wall.

I knock once, then enter. Two Lieutenants and Reyan stand around the central table, and they all look up.

Relieved, I say, "Captain. An urgent matter requires your attention."

He frowns but leaves the battle map, shutting the door behind us. "What?"

It suddenly occurs to me how ridiculous my objections will sound to him, and in my wearied state, I want to laugh at the impossibility of the situation. I know you were in a very important meeting, but I need you to agree to dismiss Maera because I don't trust her. My inferior-seeming magic makes me think she might have poisoned Mother. That's reason enough for you, right?

"What, Aster?" he repeats, sounding frustrated.

"I'm not here to argue with you, and I rather hope we can resolve this quickly, without angering the other." I shift. "I don't see the harm in assigning some trusted maid other than Maera to watch over the Queen. Worst come to worst, I'm wrong about Maera's involvement in Mother's death, and the poor girl is briefly demoted."

"No, worst come to worst, we put some traitor in the room. Maera is a trusted maid, Aster."

I fight to keep my frustration out of my voice. "I think we do have a traitor in her room."

Reyan's jaw clenches. "You're suspicious of the girl who has practically lived with Sela for the last ten years, but you're okay with leaving the foreigner with her?"