Chapter 56.2 - Aster

It wasn't all a lie

It wasn't all a lie. I do feel better than I did; anything is better than uncertain whether my legs will hold me or collapse. As I walk, though, it feels like my head is swaying back and forth, and I fight to keep a straight path through the halls. Reaching Reyan's door, I knock, hoping he's already in for the night.

The door sweeps open, and Ren's manservant says in a voice as slick as his hair, "My lord regrets to inform you he does not have any further information at this—" Escian's rote words break off, eyes widening. "Prince Astraeus. And Princesse Consort."

He bows, and I wave him up. "I assume my brother is in."

"Yes, my lord. I'll fetch him just now. Please, if you'll take a seat." The man guides us easily to the couch and hurries into Reyan's bedroom. I hide a smile. In another life, born to other parents, Escian would have made a better courtier than Reyan does.

After a moment, Reyan pushes into the living room. "Brother." A bandage covers one side of his head, but other than that, he seems fine. Shoulders relaxing, he sinks into the armchair across from us. "Good to see you alive."

I nod slowly. "You too."

He glances at Riszev beside me.

"We need to talk. We might have a plan."

"Might have a plan?" Reyan leans forward. "Everyone's been waiting for you to wake up so you could reveal the master strategy behind abandoning the wall, and you're telling me you didn't have one?"

My jaw tightens and eyes flick to Escian. "Can you dismiss your servant?"

Reyan scowls but waves his hand. Escian ducks into the bedroom, and I frown. No doubt he can still hear everything from in there. My voice lowers.

"You said it yourself—our men were getting slaughtered. We had no other hope than to put the shield up around the wall."

"That's still not a plan."

"I'm sorry I couldn't think of how to permanently end the siege in the heat of battle." My gaze pins him. "But now we have something. Do you want to hear it or not?"

His lip curls, but he leans back in his seat. "Go on."

I pause. If word of this gets back to the traitor, then all hope is lost. We'll only be throwing our men headfirst into Antium.

"What is it, Aster?"

My arms cross, and I lean back. "I won't speak until your man is out of the room."

He tilts his head, incredulous. "Are you serious?"

"Yes."

"Escian is not a spy."

"I don't care."

He glowers but calls his servant to dismiss him for the night. Escian bows and leaves on quiet feet.