Chapter Four

____________________________________________

<(131)                               James ❤

hey forgot to tell you                                                                                                                                                              but i invited betty, is                                                                                                                                                              that fine???     

                                                            oh yea yea that's totes                                                                                                                                                          fine wld love 2 have her                                                                                                                                                        over!!!!  

cool ty!!! getting choc                                                                                                                                                            and ketchup rn!!                  

                                                             tysmmm ur a real 1

                                                                                           (read)                        

_____________________________________________

I finally heard the doorbell. I braced myself for what dad would say, as if I was the one who beat Les up. A part of me still felt like a little kid, shrinking inside herself with worry about how her parent would react. Always wanting them to feel proud, and to see no flaws but soon that gets tougher. I composed myself and pulled the handle to see what caused my heart compression. I felt like I had interrupted a private moment even though they knew I was coming, and I did too, just not this early.

James voice cut through me like a spear. "Hey Aug! We came a little early if that's ok. We wanted to help you set up!" 

We. 

His arm was tight around Betty's shoulders, the end of her hair briefly brushing his forearm. His facial expression resembled that of a little child discovering that there was a melt chocolate middle in a Lindt. His skin, tanned slightly more than how I last saw, and his hair striking a contrast to Betty's golden glimmer, as his copper curls rested on them. The summer sun has been doing him a lot of good.

I finally finished my lingering once-over, and broke the silence. "That's so nice of you guys! Could you put the things in the back yard and I'll just go get ready!"

I was aware of how my body throbbed along with my heart. My anxiety truly sucks. I got on a modest floral dress, a contrast to what Betty was wearing, and smeared my lips with light pink. My makeup usually reflects my personality traits, so this was on point. Once I finished with mascara and blush (not that I needed it) I gathered myself and let my feet bound down, where dad and the couply couple were. James excused himself to use the restroom, and on the way he brushed by me and muttered something.

"I told him about Les."

Who, on cue, stepped on to the patio, where on the other side I heard a deep inhalation. My eyes instantly filled with tears as I saw his face again, and dad strolled over to us and enveloped us in a hug. Les started his waterworks, which set off a chain reaction. I was slightly aware of Betty in the background, shrinking away into the house, and I let her be. 

This was the last moment I was me.

_______________________________________________________________________________

So a little tiny bit of insight on this chapter... For paragraph 4 where aug is thinking about james, it's kinda like she only looks at him. In her eyes the only one there is him, because that's what she wants him to be. Not JamesAndBetty. Just James. That's why she takes in so little of Betty. 

More of personal note... we're so close to 100 views!!! this is so cool!!! the next update will not be a chapter, but a bonus content piece from Augustine's diary. I will post one every 4 chapters. For the first it will be a song, written by moi, but it's actually a song Aug wrote. so for now, stream august and keep hoping and i love you guys so much. xxxx

(side note, that layout messed up the messages lmaoo but try to make sense of it okay lmao)