Chapter 1

I woke up in a cold sweat from the same nightmare I had been having since I came home. Sighing I climbed out of bed immediately pushing the dream as far from my mind as I could, not only for myself, but so Spoke wouldn't have to see the images I lived with. I looked at the time realizing I needed to get ready for work so I quickly jumped on the shower and washed the sweat away. Once I was dressed I made my way downstairs hearing Grams and Sook talking in the kitchen. When I came in my grandma came right over giving me a hug. I tensed, but hugged her back. She's the only one I would allow to touch me since I had been home. No one knew what had happened and I never wanted them to know, but grams managed to get it out of me when she heard me having a nightmare.

I sat with Sook who continued giving me side glances and I could tell she was trying to read my mind. "Spoke, it's rude to poke around in someone's head without permission," I said not taking my eyes from my plate. She cleared he throat and went back to eating her breakfast. She wanted to know what I wouldn't talk about so she could understand why I had changed. We had been close before I enlisted and when I came back I was guarded even from her. Grams watched us closely as we ate in silence and when we were done I took both our plates to the sink. Before I could start washing them Grams placed a hand on mine, "Let me get these Hun, you two are gonna be late." She gave me a loving smile and I nodded, kissing her cheek and following Sookie out the door.

I mentally prepared for another night working the bar, actually hoping for a slower night. I put a smile on my face as we walked in and headed to Sam's office where we kept our things. I left and headed straight to the bar setting up music and prepping for the night. Patrons slowly cam in all members of the town and I began making drinks when needed. Images of the war still happening overseas flashed across the TV and I had to tune out the racist comments coming from the people at the bar. When I turned back I saw Arlene looking flustered as she walked back to where the waitresses get the plates of food from. I poked my head around the corner just in time to hear her tell Lafayette that the guy wanted a burger that didn't have aids. My blood boiled and I stormed back grabbing the plate from Arlene. "Oh fudge," she said as I walked away from her back to the table I knew it came from. I could hear Sam say something as him and Lafayette went to follow.

The men at the table all looked up at me as I got to their table with smirks. "Who ordered the burger with aids?" I asked setting the plate down in front of me. They all stayed quiet still smirking, when the man on my left piped up. "I asked for the cheeseburger deluxe," he started to say something else when I slammed my hand on the table. Everyone went quiet and Jason, my brother, readied himself to protect me. "I don't give a shit if this bar belongs to Sam or not, when I'm here it's my house and that beautiful looking man right there," I started and pointed to Lafayette, who now had a smirk of his own, "Makes the food. You come into my house, you eat the food how he mother fuckin makes it are we clear!" The man got angry and puffed out his chest. "I'm an American I gotta say who makes my food now how about you go back and make me a sandwich sweetheart," he said smirking back at me. I laughed and grabbed the top of his bun. "What makes you think he's the one with aids," I said before licking the bun and shoving it in his face. As I turned to walk away I saw Terry and how his body language change just as the man grabbed my wrist, "How about I show you some manners sweet cheeks?"

In that moment it was like I was back overseas. I spun around and hit him yanking my wrist free. His friends jumped up and I quickly hit them both making them fall back in their seats. Suddenly arms were around me and I was being pulled back. "Calm down soldier, you're alright," Terry whispered so only I would hear. I fought to get free a moment before settling down. Terry turned me away and led me towards the back, knowing I was about to go into a panic attack. Lafayette followed behind giving everyone a look that said go back to your drinks and food. Once I was back in Sam's office Terry let me go and I dropped to the ground moving into a corner by sam's desk. My breathing got ragged and Terry was afraid to touch me again understanding what was happening. Lafayette kneeled down in front of me and stopped waiting for me to signal I was ok. "Just breath Selene, ya gotta breath baby girl," he said gently holding his hand out, but not touching me. Sam and Sookie came bursting in the room and i felt my anxiety get worse, not wanting her to see me like this. "Get her out of here now!" I yelled making everyone jump. Terry and Arlene quickly grabbed her and pulled her out as Sam shut the door.