Chapter 10

We had done it, we both sat shocked staring at the model Friday had created for us. We looked to Morgan and our jaws fell as we looked at her. The simplest answer and she had come up with it. Tony smiled and got up, carrying Morgan back to her room. When he came back we made our way to the couch, each holding a glass of whiskey. I sat staring into my glass thinking about it. "Do you really think it could work?" I asked still not looking up. Tony took a drink and thought for a moment. Pepper and Lafayette joined us and I laid my head in Lafayette's lap, like I used to when we were kids. "Theoretically, hell yes, realistically....I don't know," he said as he pulled Pepper into him, "But I also know you and I can't let you do this one alone kid." We looked at each other and smiled knowing we were about to do something crazy.

Pepper stood up and smiled at us. "I'll pack your bags. Lafayette you go too, make sure they come home to me," she said smiling at Lafayette as she walked back out. I looked at Tony and felt a tinge of excitement break through the constant ache I had been feeling. "I can't believe we solved time travel," I said a little giddy from my inner scientist, " Banner is gonna be soooo jealous." We laughed quietly before deciding to get some sleep before heading to the compound. Lafayette and I lay in bed and just as my eyes were closing, my phone lit up again. "You should talk to him, this is big," Lafayette said. I shook my head and turned off my phone before finally falling into a peaceful sleep. I didn't see or hear Lafayette turn it back on and answer it.

The next morning we said our goodbyes to pepper and Morgan before heading off to go rescue the others from certain doom as Tony put it. As we pulled in, an hour or so after dark, we saw Steve standing out front and I tensed as I saw who stood next to him. Steve gave me a solemn look and when I turned to Lafayette he had a guilty look on his face. "of course you did, sometimes bitch I wanna smack you," I said making Tony laugh a little. Tony pulled the car up and I kept my gaze forward as he reversed back in front of Steve and Eric. "Lemme guess, ya turned him into a baby," tony said with a knowing tone. "Among other things...you here to help," he asked in return. I got out of the car and put my internal mask on, hiding the pain I felt. "Oh come captain, could t let you guys have all the fun now could we," I said smirking as I opened the door for Lafayette.

Steve smirked back and smiled a little happy to at least see me trying. Tony had been keeping him updated on how I was doing. I linked arms with Lafayette and practically skipped towards the door of the compound now feeling excited to be back. "Come on, now you get to see what I've been up to, and where the magic happens," I said ignoring Eric as we moved past him. Once we had regrouped we starting trying to figure out a plan. So far we had the idea to go back and get the stones, bring them to our time, and snap everyone back. We just had to figure out the where and when. I was laying on the floor surrounded by files. Nat was next to me and some of the others scattered around the room. Eric was pacing watching me and I could tell he wanted to talk to me, but knew now wasn't the time. He watched as I shot straight up when it hit me. "Guy's three of the stones are in the same place at the same time, that's the key right there," I said and we wall scurried to work figuring out teams and who was going after what. We all parted ways and went to suit up. It was the Eric decided to try and talk to me.

I was just zipping up my suit and pulling my hair back, trying to braid it when I felt a cold set of hands touch mine. "I'm sorry," he said making me freeze. I wasn't ready to deal with this yet, but something nat had told me in private made me stay still and quiet. I eventually dropped my hand and Eric finished my hair before turning me to face him. "What I did was wrong and I swear to you, if you wish me gone, I will be, but if you give me the chance to earn your forgiveness I will spe d eternity doing so," he said slowly raising his hand to my cheek. I looked away unable to bear it any longer. "I need time," I said refusing to look back up. The ache I had felt seemed to be dissipating ever since we got here, but I was still so hurt. He nodded and placed a kiss on my head before leaving me alone. Once he was gone, Nat came out and looked at me worriedly. I just smiled and closed the locker before heading out to join the others. I saw Godric and stopped near him when he signaled to me. "Hello Godric," I said smiling, feeling a wave of comfort at the sight of him. "hello, I just wanted to wish you luck, not that I believe you need it. You are an extraordinary being, miss stackhouse," he said smiling at me.

We gathered on the platform and got next to our teams. Nat and I would be going after the soul stone on Vormir. Eric stood next to Bruce who eyed him suspiciously then glaring when Eric looked to him. Tony had filled him in and let's just say he wasn't pleased with him either. I turned out Steve as he gave his little I motivational speech. "How long will this take," Eric asked trying to hide the worry he felt. "For them, as long as they need, for us about 10 seconds," Bruce answered watching Nat closely. He looked to me and it was as if we both felt the shift, something bad was about to happen, we just didn't know what. Once we were through, Bruce began counting as they nervously waited to bring us back. When he it 0 and flipped the switch we all came back in and I stood frozen in place. While the others celebrated Eric and Bruce were the only ones to notice me. I was back, but I was alone. "Selene, where's Nat?" Bruce asked, making everyone go quiet and turn to see me standing there alone. I didn't notice the tears falling as I held out my hand. Everyone stared at the soul stone as Bruce carefully took it. Eric watched me carefully, feeling the pain and rage the came off me in waves. I stepped back and felt something building in my chest and I felt like I could burst. I fell to my knees and slammed my fists into the ground just as the feeling became too much to hold back. Everyone was startled when I let out a primal scream and a wave of energy flowed off of me. The purple gone again and now the color was like fire. I painted heavily, still feeling like I could explode, but the feeling was slowly ebbing away.

I stood up and started to walk away, but stopped in front of Tony. "When Thanos comes, he is mine," I said with a voice no one had heard since I was under the control of Hydra. It sent chills down even Godric's spine. I stormed from the room and went straight to change out of the suit. Eric went to follow, but Clint stopped him. "Let me, trust me," he said simply before moving to follow me. Eric stayed where he was and Lafayette finally went up and stood next to him. "You still an asshole, but if she gives you another chance you better not screw it the fuck up," he said making Eric laugh a little. His face went serious when he realized it wasn't just me he owed an apology to. "I am sorry Lafayette, I hope that one day I earn your forgiveness too, I should have handled it another way," Eric said and Lafayette could see the sincerity in his eyes.

The others found me and Clint sitting on a dock at the pond by the compound. We talked and then I told him my plan, but swore him to secrecy. "You're sure," he asked and I looked back smiling at Tony as they walked closer. "Yeah, just help me make it happen," I said and Clint nodded in agreement. He hugged me and kissed my forehead for the first time in years. The others gathered around, bracing themselves for what they knew I would tell them.