• 30 •

Alfie was then led the the staff room by Mr Bentley and quickly ushered inside so none of the passing students noticed him.

"Go ahead, buddy" Mr Bentley held the staff bathroom door open for Alfie to take himself inside.

Sheepishly, Alfie followed the instructions, going into the vacant bathroom, Mr Bentley following closely behind him.

Once the door was locked, Mr Bentley placed Alfie's backpack on the floor and turned to speak to him.

"Is your nappy dry?" Mr Bentley brazenly asked.

Alfie nodded. He hated how weird it felt to be embarrassed to be dry rather than wet. It was usually his ultimate goal to stay dry, but now everybody wanted the exact opposite from him. His body was totally confused.

"Do you want to try for a wee in your nappy or on the toilet?" Mr Bentley gave Alfie control of the situation.

Alfie wasn't sure which was more embarrassing. Making himself have an accident on purpose, or taking his nappy off and trying for a wee in front of Mr Bentley. Both seemed equally as horrifying.

Alfie shrugged, not sure which option to choose.

"How about I take your nappy off and you try and use the toilet?" Mr Bentley suggested.

"Okay" Alfie replied, thankful that the decision was being made for him.

Mr Bentley then tugged Alfie's sweatpants down as he stood in front of him, then untapped either side of the nappy, allowing it to fall off between Alfie's legs.

Quickly Alfie sat himself down on the toilet, not wanting to be stood up completely exposed for any longer than necessary. He then turned all of his focus on having a wee.

As he sat down, the pain in his tummy began to intensify. So, when he started pushing himself to have a wee, the pain rapidly became unbearable.

Alfie wanting the situation to be over as quickly as possible, so he tried helplessly to ignore the increasing discomfort that he was in.

"Good boy" Mr Bentley praised, seeing how hard Alfie was trying as well as how uncomfortable he was.

Alfie took a deep breath in and forced as powerfully as he could to make his body release, but he couldn't.

"I can't" Alfie said as he exhaled dramatically.

"Hey, don't worry, just keep trying" Mr Bentley tried to help Alfie think more positive, even though he himself was nervous about Alfie's inability to have a wee. He knew what the doctor had said, and he really didn't want to have to take Alfie back.

"It hurts" Alfie panted, finding it difficult to catch his breath.

"You're okay" Mr Bentley said, crouching down next to Alfie as he sat on the toilet.

"I'm not" Alfie was close to crying as the pain became more and more overwhelming.

"Listen buddy, what I'm going to do is I'm going to ring up the hospital and ask them if there is anything they would recommend we do it make this easier" Mr Bentley explained, finding seeing Alfie in such distress upsetting.

"They'll make me come back in" Alfie whined, not wanting that at all.

"Buddy, if you need to go back it's important we go as soon as possible" Mr Bentley sympathised.

Mr Bentley then went outside of the staff bathroom and made the phone call to the hospital, leaving Alfie sat on the toilet, still unsuccessfully trying make himself have a wee.