IX. Late Mournings; Keep in Mind

Larry had gone back to his roots and became a night guard once again. He created a new division directly relating to night time and the museum. He had an idea for his first action as the head of it, he wanted to open the museum at night, and let people see what he really means by "the museum comes to life at night". He planned to bring this up during a meeting he was hoping to have with McPhee at some point this week.

McPhee locks up his office and begins to make his brisk walk toward the entrance. He is in a hurry to leave.

"Hey, Doctor McPhee." Larry jogs to catch the leaving man, "I'm glad I caught you," he breathes out, "How's, uh, how's Vincent?"

McPhee nods, he sucks in air, "He's- Well- heh," McPhee swallows, looking down toward the floor.

"Oh," Larry gets the memo, "I'm sorry. Is there going to be a funeral?" This is a touchy topic, and Larry knows, but he tries his hand at a light conversation.

"Of course there is," McPhee lets out a forced laugh, "This Sunday. You were close to him, right?"

"I mean, sure," Larry shrugs his shoulders, "We worked closely."

"You should come then," McPhee offers, "I'm sure he would like it."

"No, I shouldn't," Larry shakes his head. "I'm not family," the air grows uncomfortably still between them.

"Okay," McPhee nods. He looks at the doors, "You're welcome to come if you change your mind."

Teddy walks over to Larry. He sits at the information desk, his hand covering his eyes in a tight grip.

"Larry," Larry doesn't look up, "How is Vincent? Is he alright?"

"Teddy," Larry sighs, he looks at the wax President, "How do I say this. Vincent, he's, uh- well, he's not coming back."

"How so? Does he not like it here?" Teddy is confused. Of course, Vincent has college to get back to, but he wouldn't leave without saying goodbye first.

"I- he's gone, Teddy. He's not with us anymore," Larry rubs his face with his hands, trying to remove any sort of sadness in his face.

"I see," Teddy looks away, distraught by the unsettling news, "How do you plan to tell everyone else?"

"I don't know. I don't know," Larry deflates. "We could gather everyone and break the news that way."

"Larry," Ahkmenrah grabs the attention from the grave men. He stands nervously, fidgeting with his hands, "I didn't see Vincent when I woke. Is he alright? Where is he?"

Larry and Teddy share a look, "Ahk, this might be tough to swallow, but, uh, Vincent-"

"I see," Ahkmenrah knew this would happen. The smell of sulfur waved around in the air as they sat outside, even the red stain on his shirt was understating his injury.

Ahkmenrah nods, his eyes blurry as he comes to terms, "I thank you for telling me."

He is gone. Forever. Ahkmenrah should have done something more than sit there with him. Then to watch him take his last breath. What in Ra's name possessed him to do such a horrid act as nothing?

Ahkmenrah leaves the room. He can only steady himself when he gets back to his exhibit, he doesn't feel up to existing for the night.

There is a few days of pause before Larry sets up a meeting with McPhee. However, it doesn't go how he thought it would.

Larry sits across from McPhee in his office. He had taken notice of the rectangular item covered with a thin sheet of red velvet. He'd have to ask about it at some point.