The Best Intentions

We were in a mad dash around the house as we got ready to head to South Korea. "I'll take Natasha, Clint and Myra." Steve tells Dad as he gathers up his things. I've already changed back into my uniform and am waiting for Steve by the door.

"Alright. Strictly recon. I'll hit the Nexus and join you as soon as I can." Dad says, putting his watch on.

"If Ultron's really building a body..." Steve starts as they come up to me at the door.

"He'll be more powerful than any of us." I finish.

"Maybe all of us." Dad adds. "An android designed by a robot."

"You know I really miss the days when the weirdest thing science ever created was me." Steve says. I smile at him before Nick walks up and joins us.

"I'll drop Banner off at the tower. You mind if I borrow Ms. Hill?" Nick asks.

"She's all yours. Apparently." Dad answers, looking less than impressed.

"What're you gonna do?" Steve asks.

"I don't know. Something dramatic, I hope." He replies.

"Just don't actually get yourself killed this time." I say, giving him a hug. He stands there awkwardly for a second before returning it. We take one final look around Clint's house, checking to make sure we got everything before heading back out. The sun wasn't up yet but the sky was starting to paint the sky with varying shades of dark blue, some pink starting to form here and there.

...

We land in Seoul and Steve and I rush into Dr. Cho's lab. What we find is destruction. Electrical wires zapping, overturned lab equipment, it was a mess. "Dr. Cho!" Steve yells out when we see her clutching her chest in the corner.

"He's uploading himself into the body." She says painfully.

"Where?" Steve asks.

"The real power is inside the Cradle. The gem, its power is uncontainable. You can't just blow it up. You have to get the Cradle to Stark."

"First we have to find it." Steve tells her.

"Go."

"Did you guys get all of that?" I ask Nat and Clint.

"We did." Clint confirms.

"I got a private jet taking off across town. No manifest. That could be him." Nat says.

"There. It's a truck from the lab." Clint adds. "Right above you both. On the loop by the bridge. It's them. You got three with the Cradle, on in the cab. I could take out the driver."

"Bad idea." I say to Steve.

He nods before turning on comms. "Negative. That truck crashes, the gem could level the city. We need to draw out Ultron." He says as he climbs the ladder. I touch down gently next to him once he reaches the top level of the overpass. "Show off." He says with a smile before running and jumping off the side of the highway. I land beside him as he rolls down the back of the trailer, hanging onto the back.

"Steve!" I yell as he works to regain his hold just as the door is shot open. As he swings back around another blast is fired and the door rips off almost completely, riding along behind the truck with Steve hanging on for dear life.

"Well, he's definitely unhappy. I'm gonna try and keep him that way." Steve says.

"You're not a match for him, Cap."

"Thanks, Barton." I carefully make my way down to the end of the trailer. I watch as he goes to stand up only to get thrown back into an oncoming car.

I use my powers to get and hover in front of the opening. "You... you shouldn't even be here." Ultron says, annoyed.

"And yet, here I am. And I'm not easily dealt with as Steve." I say before sending a blast into the back of the truck. I managed to get one of the bots in the head, effectively ending it. I check over my shoulder to see that Steve is fine before flying back up to the top, where he joins me.

Ultron flies up in front of the cab. "You know what's in that cradle?" He asks us. Steve pulls me into him and blocks the oncoming blast with his shield. "The power to make real change. And that terrifies you."

"I wouldn't call it a comfort." Steve says as he throws the shield at Ultron and I send my own blast at him, flying up and over him and hitting him in the back. As Ultron works to keep us both at bay, Steve throws the shield again, causing Ultron to throw it off the truck before blasting Steve over the front of the truck, onto the hood below.

Too much happens at once. Ultron has Steve by the throat but then Steve has his shield back. Nat almost gets killed, multiple times. Then Steve does, all while I'm trying to avoid getting blasted into a million pieces. Steve finally gets enough of an opening to throw himself and Ultron into an oncoming train. "I'm going in. Cap, Stark, can you keep him occupied?" Nat asks. I fly off the truck and into the gaping hole in the side of the train, landing in front of Steve, hands glowing, pulsing with power, daring Ultron to come for him.

"What do you think we've been doing?" Steve pants. Steve's been distracting Ultron while I do my best to get the train to slow down. Unfortunately, I cannot concentrate enough to get it to stop on my own and fight off Ultron's attacks.

A sharp breeze billows through the train car, along with a blue streak as Steve is knocked away from Ultron. Metal bars come down in front of Ultron, wrapped in red energy. I bring down more on the other side, effectively caging him in. I look in shock as Wanda Maximoff is there, power dancing around her fingers as it is mine. "Please don't do this." He tells her.

"What choice do we have?" She asks him. He sighs before turning around and firing a blast through the front of the train. Using our momentary distraction, he escapes out the side of the train.

"We lost him!" Steve yells into the comms as he runs to the front. "He's headed your way!" I follow behind and we both look on in horror as we see the train fast approaching a dead end.

"Cap, you see Nat?" Clint asks.

"If you have the package, get it to Stark!" Steve yells.

"Go!" I add.

"Do you have eyes on Nat?" he asks again.

"Clint, we will find her but you gotta get that out of here now!" I yell. We both turn back to the twins.

"Civilians in our path." Steve says before the boy, Pietro, runs off. "Can you two stop this thing?"

"Now that I don't have a giant titanium distraction it shouldn't be a problem." I tell him as Wanda nods. We focus our energy and our hands begin to glow as we focus our energy on stopping the train.

We manage to bring it to a halt and as the smoke clears, and the civilians get off the train, we try and catch our breaths. "Well, that could've gone better." I say and Steve just sighs.