Chapter Seven

I usually put these at the end, but since this is a new story and applies to scenes that lay ahead, it's going here. I am over the age of eighteen, and there will be mature scenes in the chapters to come, more than likely. I cannot tell you to not read if you are a minor, just please do not make me uncomfortable by interacting when those scenes are mentioned. Thanks, lovies! Enjoy the chapter :)

"We can't judge him on something he has yet to do, Regulus."

"I'm growing tired of your righteousness, Potter."

James sighed, "Look, it's good that we know what happened. Now that we know, we can work together to make sure it doesn't happen again."

The thought was enough to make James want to break things, and cry, and spew his own sick across the floors. Hearing what lay ahead for he and Lily was the worst thing he had ever heard, and he knew immediately he couldn't subject her to a future that ends with her death.

Yes, he thought, We'll stay apart until there is no more danger. Then I'll just simply woo her again and explain what happened, and only then will we have a future with one another.

But there was only one thing that could heal a broken heart, and it was contained within the crystal bottle sitting in the middle of the table.

"Look," James began, feeling very much like he was back on the quidditch pitch giving a pep-talk, "We all know we don't get along completely. But if we don't learn to work together, people will die. So I say we finish off a bottle or two of firewhiskey tonight and learn to get along."

He looked around to each of them as he spoke, but Regulus knew that he was really speaking directly to him. Regulus was in control now, and he knew it.

But Regulus was tired of fighting, at least for the night. And as uncomfortable as thought was, James was right.

"Alright, Potter. I'll play. But just tonight."

James's wide smile spread slowly across his face, "Brilliant. Moony? Get the supplies."

"Must we play that game now, Prongs? It never ends well."

"Just trying to diffuse the tension a bit. Trust me."

And when James Potter said the words trust me, nothing ever good came from it.

Remus returned with a small potion bottle filled with a clear liquid, along with two more bottles of firewhiskey to accompany the all but empty one that sat in the middle of the table. 

Regulus could have left then, stole away back to his tent for the night. And he probably should have. But he didn't. He couldn't quite seem to get his legs to carry him back to the tent, and it had absolutely nothing to do with the alcohol coursing through his system.

It had everything to do with the fact that Regulus had imagined what this would be like. Sitting, with Sirius and the marauders, laughing. Having a good time. Being friends.

Regulus had friends, of course. But friends of convenience, mostly. It was Evan Rosier for a while,  then Barty Crouch Jr. But they both found a sadistic pleasure in what they were doing for the Dark Lord, and Regulus quickly lost interest in spending any more time than necessary in their company. His one true friend, no matter the circumstance, was that of Pandora Ariti. She was....odd, to say the least, but Reg found it endearing. She would appear in the most mysterious places, exactly when Regulus needed her. He wished he had spent more time with her then, thinking back on things. Once his Mother and Father restricted his outings outside of Hogwarts, it was all but impossible to see her outside of the castle.