Chapter 1

"Hello again, my lovely students! Welcome, welcome!" The cheery voice of a teacher greets a classroom full of teens, still tired from waking up so early. The lesson starts just after the bell, the teacher happily explaining history to the students. Everyone's attention shifts halfway through the lesson as the door opens again.
"Ah, Zackary, late to class again! You should get an alarm clock, sir!"
I swear to god, if Mr.Marlow tells me to buy an alarm clock one more time, I'm gonna kick him in the gut.
"Not like it matters now. Schools about to end anyway." I replied on the way to my seat.
"Speaking of which, you should stay after class to talk Zack." He adds.
"What about my next class?" I ask.
"If you can be late for mine, I doubt you're very punctual to any other classes." He replies.
"Whatever." I know my grade is in the shitter but I'd rather not deal with a lecture about it. I take a seat at my desk, and when Mr.Marlow turns around to start writing notes on the board, I take my phone out to message October. I'm gonna need an excuse to get out of class when the bell rings again, or at least a distraction.

Back2WackZack: hey October I need a favor
DoxedDreams: I'm busy.
Back2WackZack: busy with what? It's not like you do homework
DoxedDreams: I don't because I don't need to, I'm smart, you, on the other hand, might want to try it sometime.
Back2WackZack: I get enough of that from the teachers thank you very much
Back2WackZack: speaking of which
DoxedDreams: You need a reason to leave when class ends, so Mr.Marlow can't stop you. But as previously stated, I'm busy.
Back2WackZack: with fuckin what?
DoxedDreams: Well if you'd like to be a bitch about it perhaps I won't tell you.
Back2WackZack: course you'll tell me
Back2WackZack: I'm always a bitch you tell me things all the time
DoxedDreams: True.
DoxedDreams: I'm currently working on a game.
Back2WackZack: another one?
DoxedDreams: Yes. You'll just have to listen to Mr.Marlow talk for a while it seems. How unfortunate you must be to suffer such a terrible fate.
Back2WackZack: damn

"How about you Zackary?" Mr.Marlow's call catches me off guard. Of course he'd call on me of all people.
"What about me?" Someone snickers at the response.
"Can you tell me what historical figures fought for racial rights during the civil rights movement?" He asks again.
"Abraham Lincoln and M.L.K." another couple giggles follow.
"No Zackary, Abraham Lincoln was not alive during the civil rights movement, the correct answer would have been Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Junior." Mr.Marlow responds, emphasizing what I got wrong. "This will be on the final young man!" He adds.
I roll my eyes and look at the clock, class is about to end. I see the fire alarm flash out of the corner of my eye and flinch as the delayed alarm starts blaring a second after. As Mr.Marlow starts leading people out the door the sprinkler system goes off too, I walk away to join a different class while he's distracted.
"Hiya Zack!" Faith greets me as I walk outside with her class, her long blonde hair sticking to her face. Mars walks with her since they have the same class, trying to cover themself with a book and failing miserably. Almost everyone is soaking wet including us, the ones who aren't likely got out the doors first, lucky bastards. I see Mr.Marlow nearby counting heads and realize joining the class almost next door to his probably wasn't all that helpful.
"Come on guys let's see who else we can find." I suggest already taking a step. Mars follows without a second thought.
"Wait what about the head count?" Faith asks.
"Would you rather stand here so a teacher can tap your head or go looking for our friends, maybe we'll find October?" I reply, my hint at the idea that she gets to see her girlfriend changing Faith's mind. We subtly slip away into the crowd of other drenched students to find the rest of our group.
We find Chris and October around the back of the building near a wall when we round the corner.
"Hey, thanks for giving me an out, I'd rather jump off the roof than stay after class again." I say.
"Setting off the sprinklers was a bit excessive, don'ttcha think?" Mars adds as they lean on the wall next to her.
"Actually, I was busy, Zack, so I am not the one to thank for that, and Mars, why would I set off the sprinklers while I was still in the buildings?" October responds, black hair still dripping.
"If you didn't do it, then wh-... oh." I stop asking my stupid question as soon as I see Cody coming, Axel leading him over.
"I think this pyromaniac belongs to you." Axel emphasizes his statement by shoving Cody towards the rest of the group, then walks away, giving us the middle finger. With that, the gang's all here.