Chapter 4: Rumbling Down Below

"Hazy Shade of Winter!" Atticus yelled. His ability has a massive range, but to target someone, he needs to see them. As Atticus and his stand ran towards the building, Atticus looked at his stand. Once he figured out how to use it, he marveled at its potential.

Hazy Shade of Winter has the ability to alter a target's perception, making them see things that aren't actually real. To them, however, they are very real. The ability has a few limits, including the inability to interact with anyone but the target, and the inability to interact with normal matter. Only the target and their stand are affected. It also cannot produce advanced machines.

Atticus knew these limits well, however he knew that they didn't stop Hazy Shade of Winter from being overwhelmingly powerful in the right situation. He also knew that he could interact with his illusions.

Imperceptible to anyone but Atticus, a rope appeared hanging from the second floor window. "If they went in the bottom, I'm going up top." Atticus shouted, climbing the rope. In the heat of the situation, he didn't realize how tired he was getting.

"What the-" Polnareff muttered as Atticus began to climb a rope that she couldn't see. She shook her head. "Stands..." she whispered, then ran into the coffee shop to keep the people inside safe.

Behind his car, Jimmy H. finished setting up his drone. He connected the camera to his phone, then sent it into the building. Following it slowly along the ground was a small tank, except instead of a cannon, it had a radar dish. The center of the radar dish had a small hole, where the tank's projectiles came out. As the tank went in, Jimmy H. shouted up to the climbing Atticus. "Sound of Silence is going in. Keep those idiots quiet!"

Atticus heard Jimmy H., but didn't answer. Instead, Hazy Shade of Winter slammed its fist into the boards blocking the window, shattering them inward. "No explosion, that's good. Hey guys!" Attics said, clambering over the windowsill and into the building, then seeing Johnny and Sam stare at him.

"What did... how the..." Johnny muttered as Atticus finished scrambling over the windowsill that would have given someone twenty years his junior no trouble. Atticus glared at her, but quickly controlled himself. "Stand ability, you know, secret." He said, grinning fiendishly.

"You're creating illusions only you and I can see and interact with, but they aren't actually real." Johnny said, smiling, and causing Atticus' grin to vanish. "I caught you for a reason, Lockhart. You're smarter than I am, but I am quicker about it." Johnny quipped, then the ground underneath her exploded upwards.

"Bust Your Kneecaps!" She shouted, and her stand appeared and shielded her from the splinters, however there was a force behind the burst, and she was knocked off her feet. Sam helped her up and gave her a nod, then she said "Johnny, left door, Atticus, right door, I'll go down the hallway."

Atticus and Johnny, both not really wanting the other in charge, listened to the neutral party and followed her orders. They split ways, and began searching the building. Downstairs, Sound of Silence, Jimmy H.'s stand, was combing the downstairs for any sounds. Sound of Silence is an automatic stand, giving Jimmy H. no real control, but if it gets damaged, Jimmy H. could hardly tell.

Sam came to a door at the end of the hallway. She heard sounds from the rooms on the side, as if Johnny and Atticus were being attacked, but she pressed on and looked through the keyhole. The room on the other side of the door was dark, but Sam could make out a figure standing inside.

"I know you're there. Open the door and come in."

Sam jumped. She slowly opened the door and slipped inside. She found this room the most cluttered out of all of them. Broken crates littered the floor, dust coated everything, and the room smelled stale. The figure, a man, was wearing tattered clothes and a dirty brown scarf.