24: Kill My Tongue

{ KI }

When the door rings, I order, "Jenna, as usual, please?"

The heavy-eyed waitress smirks. "Orange pancakes and tea, coming right up."

"Thanks, dear."

Walking down the aisle, I found my dashing lover sitting near the diner's window at 3 a.m. With a fishtail braid and donning up in a leather jacket and pants that suit him so well, he watches me all this time, smiling softly. His fingers keep spinning a quarter on our table. His sparkling eyes are almost closed from joy...

The Forties.

The Fifties.

The Sixties.

The Seventies.

The Eighties.

Now, in the Nineties.

More than fifty years of hardships, adventures, and love with him. I'd bet our love doesn't change over time like our usual nature, but it did.

It's stronger than ever and I didn't know it was possible. Not all are roses and rainbows; there are disagreements at times. But by the end of the day, we understand each other like the back of our hands, and we don't even need reading gifts.

Right after I put my bag onto his, I sit beside him and his arm wraps around my waist close against his when he kisses my cheek. His naughty hand goes up my thigh under the knee-length emerald sundress...

"Wait. My fire, you haven't eaten yet?"

"I want to wait for you."

"I told you I would be late."

"So?"

I sigh and give him kisses. Such an impatient man wouldn't wait or standby for anything except when it comes to me.

"Have you at least ordered?" I tug his braid.

"I did. Asked Jenna for it to be at the same time as yours."

"Good."

"Anyway, how did it go?"

I groan. He laughs.

For a month we've been here in US, whenever we have to interrogate anyone involved, we are doing a 'bad cop good cop'. You can guess who is the good and the bad. Aht would terrify them, leave, and I come in to question them for an hour or so while Aht waits here. It works. A routine.

Tonight, however, the good cop didn't take shit and became bad. The asshole is an irritant.

"He is a splinter who wouldn't budge."

"Aih... That bad?" His smile falters. "He's still alive?"

"Halfway dead."

"Leave it to me then."

"Make it worse."

His head turns to me a little, even though he focuses on the spinning coin under his hovering fingers as the other settles heavily on my thigh. He knows I'm not for gratuitous violence.

"...He was abhorrent?"

"Hm."

He slams the quarter on the table, startling the employees. "Haish."

I'm trying not to clench my teeth. Others resume their jobs. "Threatened me that he'll do something violent to you. I showed my face to him."

He chuckles dryly. "There's the jaw thing I love. Death sentence it is."

He kisses me... with tongue to ease my jaw. Aggh firing me up with his tease. I chase his lips after, pulling a devious grin out of him. I feel a little dazed. Then, our pancakes and coffees arrive.