Illyrian Mate?

"Dear Mother, CRIUS!!! If I have to wait one more minute for you to finish fixing your hair I'm going to shave it!" Luna roared from down the stairs as she waited, rather impatiently for the High Lord of night to grace her with his presence.

"Patience is a virtue, my dear Luna!" Crius smirked at his beloved guardian as he descended the staircase.

"So is timeliness. We were meant to be at the camps this morning, you have already made us late by sleeping in."

Crius had a nasty habit of tardiness. One that drove his poor mother figure Dolunay up a wall. She had taken care of his family for generations and Crius was not the first of his line to have this issue.

Crius was the ninth heir she was sworn to protect. Thousands of years of motherhood had done a number on her patience.

Crius expertly dodged the apple thrown at his head, laughing as Luna continued to scold him.

Crius adored his guardian, the same as each heir before him. Upon birth, the heir is given to her as a platonic mate, someone to love and care for them throughout the entirety of their youth.

Crius relied heavily on Luna, her having raised each generation of High Lords, her wisdom was key to being a successful High Lord of Night.

"Relax mama! I'm the High Lord. What can they do if I'm a little late?" Crius wrapped his arms around his mother figure, kissing her cheek before dodging the flick she aimed at his forehead.

"Well, your majesty, I didn't realize... How could I forget, you are a big boy now." She cooed dusting off his lapels.

"Exactly."

"You are a strong, independent, High Lord."

"Yup!"

"So I am unnecessary then?" A bright teasing smile took over her face.

"Ye- wait what?"

"Well, my job is to nurture and protect an heir. But if I am no longer needed I can always leave and return when you have a child."

"Hold on! That's not what I meant."

"No, no, I understand. There comes a point when each babe no longer needs his mama. I understand!"

"This isn't funny, mother."

"No. What isn't funny is the fact that it is well past noon and you have JUST FINISHED GETTING READY!!! Must I wake and dress you like when you were a boy ?!? MOVE YOUR ASS!"

With that Crius was dragged by the ear to the Illyrian war camps.

It was quite the sight to see the most respected and powerful High Lord, be dragged by the ear to maintain his responsibilities.

A commotion was heard the moment they entered the camp.

From a distance, they saw a group of males, in the midst of the chaos they heard sobs, and cries for help.

"Crius..." 

"I know." Without a word, Crius stepped up. His power vibrated through the air electrifying the atmosphere.

Each Illyrian felt the shift and froze in place, turning to see their high lord and his guardian deity glaring at them in dark annoyance.

The crowd scrambled to get out of their way as the two strutted forward. In the middle of the chaos was a woman, a seamstress, being held down to have her wings clipped. Her lovely tear-stained face looked up at the royals, begging for mercy.

The moment their eyes met, Dolunay felt the snap down the bond. A soft smile took over her face as she knew, that yet another one of her kids had found his mate.

The cycle would soon restart and Luna loved to watch it happen.

Night exploded around them, turning the bright noon sky, pitch black.

Luna did not interfere as Crius obliterated his mate's tormentors. She waited patiently, learning from past experiences not to touch her yet.

After Crius had finished he stalked over to his mate, pulling her into his embrace. She cried in his arms, holding tightly to him.

He stood, taking his mate with him as he cradled her in his arms.

"Mama... take her home, while I finish this business. I'll be there shortly."

He set his mate on her bare, bloodied feet as Luna went to grab her. The Illyrian female rested all of her weight on Luna as she tried to stay upright.

She winnowed back to the house of winds, the shadows melding around them as they appeared.

"You are safe now... my name is Luna. Are you hurt anywhere sweetheart?" Luna spoke calmly as the night. Her motherly aura put the frazzled female at ease.

"Delmira..."

"Huh ?" Luna asked, not quite hearing the quiet whisper of the woman.

"My name... it's Delmira."

A soft smile took over the guardian's porcelain features. "Alright, Delmira. Are you hurt anywhere?"

"No."

"You sure? Cause your kinda getting blood on my floors." Luna teased as she gestured to the females bleeding legs, feet, and hands.

"It's not that bad. I got scraped up when they dragged me." Delmira mentioned nonchalantly.

The cuts were already beginning to heal, but she was still filthy.

"Come on, precious. Let's get you cleaned up." Luna helped Delmira to the tub that had magically filled. After an hour of scrubbing, Delmira was perfectly clean of the grime brought on by years of living in the camps.

When she was clean, Luna braided her long blue-black hair as they talked. Just as they finished they heard someone enter the downstairs.

"Mama!" Crius bellowed from downstairs.

"You can come down whenever you're ready, Mira," Luna said, patting the younger female's head.

She walked downstairs to find a frantic Crius, pacing.

"Mama! Is she upstairs? Is she alright?"

"Crius!" Luna interrupted taking his face into her hands, "she is safe and bathed. She is upstairs, do not fret."

The High Lord loosed a sigh to calm himself as Luna pulled him into a hug, petting his perfectly styled hair as he melted into his mother figure's embrace.

"Congratulations, Crius."

"Thank you, mama."

Releasing him, he ran up the stairs towards his mate, and Luna was left alone.

She made her way down the ten thousand steps slowly walking the city of Velaris as she contemplated what happened next.

Crius had found his mate. It was only a matter of time before a new heir was born and Crius would lose his guardian. The cycle would begin anew just as it had done dozens of times before.

Each time was equally exciting and painful.

"See you soon, little heir... What menaces we will be."