The next Heir

It was time for the second most awkward conversation Dolunay had to have with each of her heirs.

The first being 'the talk'.

No matter how many heirs she helped raise, 'the talk' never got any less awkward.

Just like she had for Crius' father so many years ago, she prepared a meal for the high lord and his mate.

She had felt it last night. The fraying of her guardian's bond could only mean one thing, her time as Crius' guardian was coming to an end. 

"Mama! We're here!" She heard Crius call out as she finished putting the plates on the table.

"I'm here!"  Luna called out, mentally preparing herself.

The couple entered, smiling brightly at the petite guardian. Crius released his mate's hand rushing in front of Luna and lifting her into the air.

"I've missed you, Mama!" Crius smiled brightly pulling Luna into his overwhelming embrace.

Mira laughed at the 180 her mate has whenever he talks to his mom.

Crius was a ruthless, stoic man. He was cruel and uncaring. The pinnacle of power and a terrifying high lord.

But when it came to his guardian it was like he flipped a switch. He was playful, clingy, and needy. He loved Luna above all else and it showed.

His mother died in childbirth so Luna had been the only mother figure he'd known. He remembered his father's coldness towards him so Luna was his sole means of affection for his entire life.

"Crius sweetheart, I've missed you too. Mira darling you look wonderful."

"Do you need help with anything, Luna?" Mira asked as she helped take the plates from Luna's restrained arms.

"No darling... but there is a reason I asked you to come tonight... we need to have a little talk. I've found it's best to get it out of the way sooner rather than later." Luna began as she separated herself from the pouting High Lord.

"Everything alright?" Crius asked, concern not well concealed.

"Yes. Wonderful in fact! Just... it warrants a bit of a talk." Luna patted his bearded cheek as she moved to sit at the table.

The couple looked at each other concerned as they sat opposite the deity.

"Last night... last night I felt our bond falter, Crius."

Crius' eyes grew wide with panic, not fully understanding what that meant.

"Don't panic!!! What that means is, that another bond has begun to form." Luna spoke carefully as she watched Crius panic with a lack of understanding.

Mira's hand flew to her mouth, and tears of joy filled her eyes as she immediately put the pieces together.

"A-am I?... are we... Luna... Am I pregnant?" Mira asked.

Crius' eyes widened even more as he turned to his mate. His eyes lit up with joy, "I'm gonna be a father?"

He stood spinning his mate in his arms as he held her close, a new protectiveness taking over.

"Yes. It is wonderful news. We can celebrate more in a moment, there are just some warnings I have for you both." Luna smiled but spoke carefully, trying to get her point across clearly. 

"What warning?" Crius asked holding his mate close as they sat.

"Well. It's about what happens after the baby is born... When the baby is born, our guardian bond will sever as the bond with the new baby is formed. You will feel that missing piece for a while, which has caused some problems in the past with jealousy of the new baby." Luna spoke slowly trying to convey just how hard this would be. 

Crius scoffed at Luna's implication, "I would never be jealous of my child, mama." 

"That's what they all say. Your father said the same, but a few weeks after your birth he tried to throw you out the window of the house of winds."

"Wait... for real?"

"Not important, I caught you in time. But it is very real... The same applies to you Demira."
Luna said, turning her attention to the pregnant Illyrian.

"Why would I get jealous? I love you, Luna, but we don't share the same bond." Mira carressed her flat stomach, still sporting the brightest smile. 

"Well, no. But the baby will be extremely attached to me throughout their lives. Sometimes mothers feel a little put out, like I'm stealing their child. I assure you it's perfectly normal, it's just important you are prepared way in advanced." Luna said.

It had not taken her long to figure out, warning the new parents way in advanced did help the transition slightly.

The breaking of the guardian bond was always painful for the boys. It was emotional and with the attention they'd known their whole lives suddenly directed at someone else, extreme jealousy was always a problem. 

She had become accustomed to watching for signs that the High Lord would try to get rid of their sons. Leaving them in the woods, dropping them in a body of water, throwing them out a window, they never really got creative and Dolunay was always there before any harm was done. 

The High Lords had a nasty habit of growing cold towards their sons out of jealousy of the bond they lost.

It truly was a platonic mating bond.

The oath Luna swore so many centuries ago had side effects she did not foresee. She hated that a beautiful moment like the birth of one's first child turned sour because of the painful loss of the bond. She hated that the new mothers felt like she was stealing their children. 

It would fade over time but the bitterness was always there. 

What's worse is the parents never really heeded her warning. Never understood the extent of shittiness they would endure.

As Luna celebrated the upcoming birth of the new baby with Crius and Demira, she smiled sadly, knowing what was to come. 

She would spend every moment she could with Cruis now because when the new baby came he would have to learn how to be on his own.

The best and shittiest part of being a guardian was letting them go off on their own.

High Lord's Guardianजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें