|Day 8| The Chariot To War

Fandom: American Gods

Pairing: Mr. World x Gender Neutral Reader

Summary: A nice diner soon takes a turn for the worse when World's intentions are revealed.

Warning(s): None
Word Count: 1526

Warning(s): NoneWord Count: 1526

The smell of barbeque chicken wafts through the air, the scent of parmesan roasted potatoes accompanying it when you open the oven

The smell of barbeque chicken wafts through the air, the scent of parmesan roasted potatoes accompanying it when you open the oven. Warmth rushing over your skin from the unlocked door.

Dinner is nearly done; you just have to let the potatoes crisp up a bit more and then mix them with the garlic fried brussel sprouts. Now, hopefully, World will get home before the food gets cold.

He usually always tries to make it back before dinner so he can spend quality time with you. You don't necessarily know what's been happening with him and the new gods, as he likes to keep you out of their work for your safety. But whatever it is has him returning home later than usual.

The beeping of the oven breaks you out of your thoughts. Shaking your head, you go about plating the food, planning on plastic wrapping World's for later. At least, that was your plan until two arms wrap around your waist.

You jolt in the hold but ultimately relax at the familiar chuckle. "Are you trying to give me a heart attack?"

"No. But I thought a little surprise would be nice." He rests his head in the crook of your neck, and you can feel the smirk on his face. "Smells delicious."

"Well, I would hope so since this is the first time in a while you've been home when it's actually fresh." You spoon some potatoes and brussel sprouts onto his plate.

"I wasn't talking about the food."

"G-go sit down." You lightly hit him on the head with your spoon, trying to force the blush from taking over your face.

There's a snicker, and he kisses the base of your neck, his arms uncoiling from your waist. His hands give a slight squeeze to your hips before he steps back, the sound of rustling taking over the room, and you assume he's taking off his jacket. There's also the scrape of metal on metal, and you see him grabbing you both silverware from the corner of your eye.