Chapter Nineteen|Yes, I Will|

19 |Yes, I Will|

•\/•

I watch her lay still on the hospital bed, her eyes are still shut but her normal breathing is restored. The injuries on her body are now covered in band-aids and her mouth and nose are covered in what seems like an oxygen mask.

The sounds of beeping machines echo inside these walls and all I can do, is stare at her beautiful face. I can't believe I almost lost you.

The guilt of not being there for her in time claws at my skin, slowly and painfully tearing out my flesh. The need to beat that creep till he's unable to walk is eating me out, I'm angry at myself for letting him do this to her, I'm angry at myself for letting him go.

I catch myself breathing heavily, my chest heaving uncontrollably. f*ck I'm screwed. Dad warned me not to get into another fight, and yet, here I am in another one. But it was all worth it, for her, it was worth it and I'll do it again if I have to.

I turn my gaze to her, deeply lost and mesmerized by her beauty. All this while I've been denying what I feel for her and yet, here I am staring straight at her, unable to deny the truth that's crystal clear. I like her, a lot.

The reality of nearly losing her was a hard punch I didn't need to finally accept the truth. I thought I'd never fall for anyone but Steph, however, I stand corrected. My heart proved me wrong and just when I thought I could push my emotions aside, her big brown eyes kept pulling me in like a magnetic force I couldn't escape.

I almost lost it yesterday when I was standing so close to her, my skin slightly grazing against hers as my eyes drank in the sight of her, capturing every part of her face and storing it safely in my mind. What was I thinking?

I couldn't help but fall weak each time her eyes met mine, afraid of totally losing it and ending up kissing her, I kept my eyes away from her lips that barely quivered. I could tell just how nervous she was and yet, she stayed. Does she like me too? F*ck!

I exhale sharply from my mouth as I get up from my seat and pace around the room. Shortly after, her dad and grandma storm into the room and cause me to whip my head to them.

"Zoe" He shudders, his eyes fixed on her as he reaches for her hand.

"What happened to my poor baby," Mrs. Davis cries while holding her mouth. Tears well up in her eyes, her voice breaking with every word that leaves her mouth.

"What happened to her?" Marvin demands as he shifts his attention to me.

"Brody attacked her," I reply, unable to keep eye contact with him long enough. I'm too ashamed to look at him, I was supposed to protect his daughter and all I did was fail him and her.

"What do you mean he attacked her, how?! How did that idiot get to her?!" His voice is laced with anger and a frown appears on his face.

I can't tell him that she went to see him, seeing how strict he can be with his daughter, I can't put her in more trouble. She's been through a lot.

Not long after, the doctor walks in and the nurse follows behind him. He smiles us a quick greeting and introduces himself to Marvin and Mrs. Davis then proceeds to pin Zoe's finger between what looks like a peg, some tiny machine I don't know.

He carefully takes off the mask and does a few examinations on her while the nurse is typing something on her iPad. The doctor turns his focus on me, well my bruised knuckles, and tells me to wrap some bandages around them right away.

When Mrs. Davis and Marvin notice, a frown appears on his forehead and his eyes grow more narrow. I can imagine how many questions are running through his mind, but I can't imagine the pain he's facing and the unbearable sight of his daughter laying beside him, all bruised up and still.